Canvas notification for new student(s) added to course

0 Likes
(6)

Canvas is connected to our Student Information System and students are automatically added via a feed from this system automatically. 

Teachers on a course may not necessarily know that new students have been added. This can present a problem when students are added to a course a few weeks into term.

Would it be possible to create a notification for when new students have been added to a course in Canvas? This would ensure that teachers can recap on information that new students may have missed due to their late enrolment on the course. 

7 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

tomasdore
Community Participant

This would be useful, as many modules experienced students being added 2, 3 or 4 weeks late, and it would enhance the experience for the students but certainly for the instructors too.

AmandaID
Community Member

This would be a very helpful addition to notifications. I have to manually add students to a Program Resources course after the SIS has added them to their for-credit Canvas courses, and I have no way to be notified (other than constantly refreshing the People page) when new students have been added to Canvas. 

A00364575
Community Participant

I get this request pretty frequently from teachers as well. Although we don't have a lot of them, it would be especially useful for open-enrollment, CBE-style courses. Similarly, it would also be good for this to come with a notification when a student drops a course.

KimberlyBevill
Community Novice

This notification is CRITICAL to my ability to track course participation!! Students can enroll at any time and I'm not always aware of it - many issues come from this. This addition would help immensely. 

hornungp
Community Explorer

I had to make my own script using the Canvas API to have this functionality. It checks the roster every hour and emails me with any changes.

It's a shame that it isn't built into Canvas already, especially since the notification system in Canvas is otherwise pretty good.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.