Canvas sometimes doesn't play well with browsers and should consider its own browser.

0 Likes

Canvas integrates with other software, e.g. Zoom and Simple Syllabus, and currently just stopped launching Zoom and Simple Syllabus on my Google Chrome, though works on Safari.  There are too many opportunities for browser updates or security changes to interact badly with Canvas and all these other plug-in software products.  I suggest Canvas consider creating its own light-weight browser that is just meant to work with Canvas and its supported plug-in software products.  The browser and Canvas could be set up to always be updated and released together and are anyway supported by institutions that have the IT resources to keep things synchronized.

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

@TedvonHippel,

Thanks for providing that feedback. There are certain browser versions and computer requirements for Canvas to run smoothly. For more information, see What are the browser and computer requirements for Canvas?. That said, are you having trouble launching the Zoom and Simple Syllabus LTIs when using one of the supported browser versions listed? 

Naomi

TedvonHippel
Community Novice
Author

I was using an updated Google Chrome (Version 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (x86_64)) and had been doing so for 2 or 3 years before Canvas stopped properly integrating with Simple Syllabus and Zoom. The symptom was blank pages when I clicked on the tabs for Simple Syllabus or for Zoom.

TedvonHippel
Community Novice
Author

ps. and just like that, Canvas & Simple Syllabus are working again on my Google Chrome.  My guess is this has something to do with the host computers all of this software is ultimately served from.

jmurray6
Community Participant

There are currently some issues with Canvas and Chrome 96 in general. This was posted to the "known issues" thread this past week:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Known-Issues/OPEN-Various-pages-fail-to-load-completely-in-Canvas...

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea, @TedvonHippel . For many reasons, Instructure does not currently plan to develop its own browser. Whenever you experience an issue that you think is browser-related, after checking for updates, please use the Help button in your Canvas global navigation menu to submit a ticket.