Case sensitive answers in a quiz

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When giving a quiz, I would like to see the option to require that an answer have a capital letter. For example, in a fill in he blank question a teacher may be looking for the name of a particular state. The student is required to answer 'California' but if they answer 'california', it is marked correctly. I would like to see the option to require an answer to be case sensitive.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
31 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@cheeren ​

We can move this idea forward for voting.

You will want to also follow Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ and watch a preview at Canvas Focus Group: Quizzes

nikolina_petrov
Community Participant

I just worked with a Social Studies teacher and showed her the Fill in the Blank and Fill in Multiple Blanks options.

As we discovered that Canvas accepted lower case and capital case letters for names of locations and cities she did not like the idea at all!  In addition, she did not want to use Canvas Quizzes. She said that she might consider using it if there was an option to where she can pick the case sensitive answer --- which is exactly what this feature idea is all about!!!!

You've got my vote!

catherine_uvaro
Community Member

I'm a chemistry instructor and I'd like case-sensitive input!

Co = cobalt

CO = carbon monoxide

Very different things... capitalization matters.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

216228_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature? Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I understand that a regex (regular expressions) feature would satisfy this request. I hope I remember seeing that regex is on the product radar for #quizzes.next_new‌.

dmalik
Community Novice

Echo the need to optionally enforce capitalization or not. Co is fine for the periodic table, but maybe in another course it doesn't matter. Perhaps as an option in open ended questions.

mfernandez
Community Explorer

I give a vocabulary quiz every week. Two of the words are capitalized. I have been doing these quizzes for over a year on Canvas and never even thought about checking because I thought an EXACT answer had to be put in. It was not until a chemistry teacher with this issue even made me question my quizzes. If we want our high school students to score well on standardized tests and college placement tests, we cannot give them the wrong idea about exact grammatical issues. A scorer might see that they have a capital letter used wrong and ding that person for mechanical errors, thus eliminating them from consideration. Yes, this is overly dramatic, but it could happen.

mastersj
Community Novice

Is this idea still open? It's very important to me that this change is made. I teach Computer Science and part of what I teach my students is proper naming conventions. For questions about this, capitalization matters! "numbers" might be a right answer while "Numbers" is not following convention, and is incorrect! There is no way to auto-grade this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature of the Quizzes LTI tool is found in most of the 'create a question' guides, under the section header: select text match