Categorization Question Uncategorized Box

0 Likes
(5)

Currently the Categorization question in New Quizzes can contain red herrings / distractors, i.e. items that should NOT be categorized. This is quite non-intuitive to collective experience  - we are always taught to move every item into a category and not leave any behind. And the penalty is EXTREME since this question is still graded as "all or nothing" - so results in grading headaches and upset students.

I believe this question format would be greatly improved if it ALWAYS displayed an "Uncategorized" box to students  (or call it "Other", or " Not used" - be best if instructor could RELABEL this box with a name that makes sense in the specific case). This still meets the design function of having "red herrings / distractors" but doesn't trick the student and doesn't create extra regrading work related to the inclusion of distractors.

3 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lesya
Community Explorer

I agree, Karla! This would make assessment much more transparent to students! Thank you for making this suggestion!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.