Change group from inside Speedgrader

0 Likes
(6)

When the option 'Large course: Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Student Group' is selected, you cannot change the group you are grading inside the Speedgrader. This confuses teachers.

Right now if a teacher would want to change the group they are grading the workflow is as follows:  close the Speedgrader, select a different group on the assignment page (or in the Gradebook) and reopen the Speedgrader.

The proposed solutions would be to add a dropdown menu (like the filter by section option in the Speedgrader) to change the group, without having to exit the Speedgrader.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ngreeves
Community Member

This useful feature is tucked away in Settings and there are no clues in People or Groups or SpeedyGrader itself about this setting.

Please find a way to make this more obvious or even default behaviour

ngreeves
Community Member

My comment was moved here and lost the title!

The useful feature is "Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Student Group" nothing to do with changing group from inside SpeedyGrader!

This feature is very hard to find and yet very helpful.

julian_ebeli
Community Participant

@ngreevesI agree that the "launch speedgrader filtered by group" course setting is in the wrong place. It should be a control in the speedgrader itself. It is one of several issues with the speedgrader, which make it the slowgrader!

ngreeves
Community Member

I completely agree with this suggestion. It is remarkably hard to change groups once you are in SpeedGrader.

Today I ended up turning OFF grade by group so that I could actually see all the students' work.

deval_popat
Community Explorer

How do I choose the default student group for speed-grader? Can we add Listbox next to large course settings?

I get this message "Due to the size of your course, you must select a student group before launching SpeedGrader." But I cannot choose the SpeedGrader for the discussion already began. It just shows me two student submissions. A quick resolution was to uncheck large course settings in canvas.

I wish either there should be a list box next to the SpeedGrader setting in canvas or SpeedGrader should be displayed the same as for other assignments.

deval_popat
Community Explorer

The problem is grading a discussion that has already begun before creating the student group.

Below is a reference link:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-enable-SpeedGrader-to-launch-filtered-b...

millebet
Community Member

I was really excited when I saw the new option to filter Speedgrader by student group. Unfortunately, it is not a useful tool for me in its current format. I would like to see an option to select multiple groups at once. That way, I can see all groups and my TA can see only the groups they are responsible for. 

phingst
Community Novice

I agree, this is incredibly frustrating. What I would also like addressed is to not have this function apply to assignments that are not group assignments. In order to see the responses from my whole class, I had to turn off the mark by group function and then turn it back on after. This is a very useful tool but needs to be implemented much better so it is easier to find and less complicated to use.

Thank you

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.