[Calendar] Change "available until" date when assignment is dragged in the calendar

It is wonderful to be able to change the due date of an assignment by dragging it in the calendar. However, the "available until" date does not change along with the due date. This sometimes results in assignments being locked before they even open. It would be great if the "available until" date would change at the same time as the due date.

Added to Theme

45 Comments
rlk03
Community Explorer

So, it's been over a year. Any updates on this feature request?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

I just wrote this  for a new idea and then I discovered that someone already had the same idea.  Here is what I wrote. 

When in the calendar, if you drag a quiz from 1 day to another, the due date is changed.  It is awesome.  Can you make it so that the availability dates of FROM and UNTIL change too?  Of course you would have to set it so that the until date would never automatically go beyond the ending date of the course.

This would help for example if I had a quiz or test that was set for Wednesday, and it was set so students could only access the quiz between the beginning and ending of class time.  So If I decide to give the test on Thursday instead, I could just drag it, and not have to worry going into the quiz settings to change things.

This would be a very simple programming feature.  Smiley Happy

suzanne_r_david
Community Participant

I would like to know, too, if there has been any progress on this. We are just starting up on Canvas, and I would love to be able to promote the ability to move items on the calendar as a strong selling point (to offset some of the pain of having to move to a new LMS). However, with this problem, I can't advocate for it, unless the instructor is one who permits late submission (and therefore doesn't use Available Until dates.

For anyone importing from Moodle, though, be warned that "Cut-off" dates appear to automatically come in as Available Until dates. This means that, even with date adjustments on import, the move-on-calendar method will cause problems for these items.

helfco
Community Participant

Any update on this? I just learned "the hard way" about this illogical functionality. I decided to open all assignments till the end of the month and easily dragged them to the 30th. I thought all was good until the emails floated in alerting me that the assignments were still closed. It was the dang until date. Since there's no one-page place to adjust all the dates I had to do this in each assignment, discussion, quiz... Smiley Sad

garciah
Community Champion

Hi Cyrus, we just started using Adjust-All, and the feedback has been really positive. You can request a 30 day trial, which is what we did, before we decided to purchase it.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I've been using the script here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8585-adjust-all-assignment-dates-on-one-page  and it has worked well! 

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

Thanks a lot.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Beth.Young@ucf.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

helfco
Community Participant

Thanks, Beth and Heather! I will experiment with both Adjust-All and the Google script. Tally-ho!

traciebosket
Community Champion

I love the drag and drop in the calendar, but right now it is not useful for our instructors. They have to manually adjust the available dates.