[Calendar] Change "available until" date when assignment is dragged in the calendar

It is wonderful to be able to change the due date of an assignment by dragging it in the calendar. However, the "available until" date does not change along with the due date. This sometimes results in assignments being locked before they even open. It would be great if the "available until" date would change at the same time as the due date.

Added to Theme

45 Comments
helfco
Community Participant

Beth! I just ran the script! Wow, that is clever!

Lifesaver, thank you.

anapier
Community Novice

This is a problem we especially noted when making adjustments to the assignments for hurricanes this year. 

nolanr
Community Explorer

I seem to come back to this question at the beginning of every semester, and don't see any updates. It says this idea is on the product radar, but I can't find anything more tangible than that. I understand there are other work around by downloading other programs, but I would prefer this to be working within Canvas itself.

jkwarnke
Community Member

Like Russell, I'm curious if there's been any movement on this idea. The process of adjusting the "available until" dates is a huge timesuck on my semester preparations.

suzanne_r_david
Community Participant

Ditto. I am still not promoting the drag to a new date in the calendar capability, because it causes so many problems. I know that there are products and scripts to try to make up for this flawed implementation, but isn't it time to maybe move from being on the radar to actually being fixed. Third-party patches are good--to a point--but the need to find and implement these patches just makes my faculty cranky!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

jkwarnke
Community Member

^ that doesn't seem to address Suzanne's question about the actual status of this...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jkwarnke  

The update I posted was one we posted on all ideas that were in the Radar stage when we removed it.

There is no status change for this idea.  It remains open for vote.  We'll post an update if/when there is one, promise!

suzanne_r_david
Community Participant

OK.

Really, though, the point of my comment wasn't so much whether it was "on the radar" as that the problem has existed for a relatively long time, and that maybe it should be time to find a solution to the problem that doesn't require patches and scripts.

Without this fix, the ability to drag an assignment on the calendar can be seen as a bug, not a feature. 

woodcock_collee
Community Novice

It would be nice to even have an additional option to say this is available for 10 days after the due date or something like that