Change the Rubric Back in SpeedGrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The "New" Rubric in the Speed Grader view is much larger than it used to be. In order to see the Ratings you have to drag the gray divider bar over making the submission view window smaller. For some of my rubrics that have 4 or 5 ratings, I can drag the divider bar over until it takes up 2/3 of the screen and I still have to scroll side to side in the rubric window to see all of my ratings.  I used to be able to see the entire rubric using no more than half of the screen. This makes it so that my SPEED grader is much slower than it used to be. Can we put it back the way it was???

Comments from Instructure

Thanks for your patience. Our engineers have deployed a change for rubrics in SpeedGrader as noted in our release notes: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15588-canvas-release-notes-2018-10-27#jive_content_id_Rubri...  

This change is effective immediately in your production environment.

31 Comments
cassie_absher
Community Novice

This zooms out of the ENTIRE browser window, including whatever I am trying to grade not just the rubric. Additionally, I found it doesn't make the rubric fit into one frame without scrolling, but rather makes the font size of the rubric smaller. I still have to scroll over on the frame with the rubric in order to see the entire thing.

soberoi
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all, 

Thank you all for expressing your concerns associated with the new rubric implementations and the issues that you have experiences with the amount of space occupied by the new rubrics design. We certainly understand the difficulty that is presented by this issue and how it can cause problems in the grading process while using rubrics inside of SpeedGrader.

Rest be assured that we have a plan in place to address this issue and to make rubrics in SpeedGrader more usable moving forward by addressing this size issue! It is certainly on our radar and we hope to have something that better resembles the prior sizing and resizing functionality in the near future. Once we have a solution in place, we'll be sure to post it inside of the ensuing release notes. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Best,

Sidh

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Please visit https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12350-simplify-rubrics-look-and-operation  and vote up on this rubric upgrade idea!

RobDitto
Community Champion

Thanks,  @soberoi  for this reassuring update.

One related idea created by  @jsward  just opened for voting:

Since you mentioned resizing, I'm hoping Jennifer's idea might inspire some resizing functionality for rubric comments.

meezankaren
Community Novice

Canvas folks must think we all have two large monitors. Not so! This new speed grader interface is a nightmare of scrolling and resizing on a normal laptop or desktop screen. Please bring back the old one!

soberoi
Instructure
Instructure

@RobDitto ‌ - thank you for putting that on my radar. We will certainly have that under consideration upon reviewing this piece of work as well. 

anassar
Community Novice

Please change the rubric back.

hamzamargaret
Community Novice

Yes, please change the rubric back. 

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

Hi, all,

Thanks for your patience. Our engineers have deployed a change for rubrics in SpeedGrader as noted in our release notes: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15588-canvas-release-notes-2018-10-27#jive_content_id_Rubri... 

This change is effective immediately in your production environment.

Thanks,

Erin

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

pbeebe Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as, justin.jones ,  @iharvey  Thank You ,  @spagel  Thank You ,  @kmeeusen  Thank You ,  @kona  Thank You , chad.noteboom Thank You , cassie.absher Thank You ,  @jeff_pence  Thank You , mbrooks Thank You ,  @RobDitto  Thank You ,  @ronmarx  Thank You ,  @meezankaren  Thank You , anassar, &  @hamzamargaret  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!