cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the quill icon to a pencil icon for Compose a new message

Change the quill icon to a pencil icon for Compose a new message

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the Messages section of Canvas, the way to compose a new message is to click on the icon of a quill. Some students don't even know what a quill is. And several of my students though the quill icon was a picture of a leaf.

A pencil is a standard icon on the web for "edit." Let's make the button easy to find by changing the quill to a pencil. (See attached files for examples.)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13988-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-01-27 .

89 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach
Community Member

Yes, I followed that whole conversation with interest. I agree with the concerns that "Q" is too English-centric, and I know that choosing a replacement was difficult and subjective. I was just pointing out that other icons have received attention for being somewhat inexplicable.

Surveyor

Isn't the plus sign or a pen on a piece of paper usually an indicator to create a new message? I think either of them would make much more sense that the leaf quill. 

Learner II

‘+’ or ‘+Message’ would be consistent with many other Canvas tools. 

Surveyor

Yes! Quite right. 

Community Member

Agreed!  They would be great icons!

Thinking about it, yes the pen by itself is more of an 'edit' icon, whereas the pen on a piece of paper like tchilt@saic.edu suggested above is the 'compose'.

Whatever it is... just needs to change from the quill/leaf!

Community Member

Absolutely!  Nice idea!

Learner II

As a designer, its a leaf.  Maybe its supposed to be a quill, but when the majority of people read it as a leaf, its a leaf.  Smiley Happy

Instructure
Instructure

I'd be suggesting the envelope icon used on the context cards and mobile app to keep the visual language consistent

Lamplighter II

I think a pencil is pretty standard for compose and/or edit. I also see a lot of plus signs, +.