Change the quill icon to a pencil icon for Compose a new message

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the Messages section of Canvas, the way to compose a new message is to click on the icon of a quill. Some students don't even know what a quill is. And several of my students though the quill icon was a picture of a leaf.

A pencil is a standard icon on the web for "edit." Let's make the button easy to find by changing the quill to a pencil. (See attached files for examples.)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13988-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-01-27 .

91 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I voted this up, but I do not think the new icon should just be a pencil as that generally suggests "edit" throughout the system.

I opened up five clients and two just use the word "compose" (google and yahoo), one uses "write message" (earthlink), one uses an envelope with a plus sign (Office 365), and the other uses a piece of paper with a pencil (Mac Mail). I also checked to see how the iOS on my phone shows it, it's a piece of paper with a pencil.

kara_robinson
Community Novice

SUCCESS!!  Looks like we finally got the quill changed to the pen tool!  Well done all and thanks to  @eholtmann  for bringing this up! :smileygrin:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-27) .

dnolan2
Community Novice

And we really appreciate it! Looks great!

Diane Nolan

IT Associate, PLSH 279A

Agronomy and Horticulture

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

402-472-1515

kim_flowers
Community Novice

We saw it yesterday in our training session. Thanks  @Renee_Carney ! Exciting news!!

frederick_smith
Community Novice

Thank you!

Fred

Frederick Key Smith, Ph.D.

Professor of Humanities

Florida Gateway College

(386) 754-4380

rlbrown21
Community Participant

Yay!  And there was much rejoicing!

Great improvement!

kara_robinson
Community Novice

You may also be interested to know - the quill has been changed, for the 'Choose image' icon, within the Course Details section as well...

267140_pastedImage_1.png

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New