Changing the 'Submit Assignment' Button

Students tell us that the "Submit Assignment" button is confusing, because the term "submit" implies to turn in. Changing the work "Submit" to "Begin" (or something similar) would be less confusing, and using "Submit Assignment" for when the assignment is actually be submitted for grading.

208851_pastedImage_0.png208851_pastedImage_0.png

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-31).

96 Comments
tyevka
Community Explorer

This is a useful idea. However, I still want assignments to say "deadline" instead of "due date" or "due". Deadline implies a close date rather than a do this today date.

mcbrevell
Community Novice

I agree the button is confusing and needs to be changed.  I suggest that when the page initially comes up that it include the information that's on the page you get after you select the Submit Assignment button.  That way when the assignment is selected, at the bottom, they can add a file, enter text, etc. before selecting Submit Assignment.

fbantlevrms
Community Member

Be great if kids could begin an assignment by clicking a Start button instead of Submit.  Submit usually means to turn something in.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@fbantlevrms 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've already developed a prototype for a new assignment submission process for students, and you can find more information about it here: How do I upload a file as an assignment submission for a course using Assignment Enhancements?

Student Enhancements is currently being tested by a number of schools. When the new functionality is released widely, we hope you'll give us your thoughts on the new design at that time.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@fbantlevrms 

Our senior director of product management is asking for feedback on the proposed assignment submission workflow, and we hope you will add your thoughts to the comments section of his blog post: Update assignments navigation for students.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Matt Goodwin (Senior Director of Product Management) has written a blog post to facilitate discovery around this. Please share your thoughts with him over at Update assignments navigation for students

cuellar
Community Novice

I know this has already been suggested, but I see the prior post was archived yet I do not see the change made yet.

The initial Submit button is extremely confusing to students. They don't understand (and neither do teachers) why they need to hit the submit button on the assignment when they haven't completed the assignment yet.  Change this button to say Open Assignment instead.  This would also match the verbiage of Google Doc assignments, which many students are familiar with having used Google Classroom in past years.

acorrado
Community Member

On several assignment types, students have to first click "submit" to open the assignment and begin working. Then they click submit again when they actually want to submit the assignment. This is confusing for high school students and younger. 

Please consider changing the first button to "Start Assignment" or "Open Assignment." And then retain the "Submit" button for when the student actually wants to submit. 

lcheek
Community Member

Yes Please!!!

It should say "Start Assignment"!

ytrkptl
Community Explorer

I agree with the suggestion in this post.