Changing the 'Submit Assignment' Button

Students tell us that the "Submit Assignment" button is confusing, because the term "submit" implies to turn in. Changing the work "Submit" to "Begin" (or something similar) would be less confusing, and using "Submit Assignment" for when the assignment is actually be submitted for grading.

208851_pastedImage_0.png208851_pastedImage_0.png

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-31).

96 Comments
garrett_william
Community Participant

I think Submit is the right word. I would hate to change the directions of every assignment or tutorial I have created for our courses because of the word "submit." After a week in any LMS, the rules of the road become very clear.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wouldn't it be more in line with the "Quiz" area if the first page of the Assignment area says "Take the Assignment" and then on the actual page where a student is either (a) typing into a text box, (b) entering a website URL, (c) making a media recording, or (d) uploading a file [as this page has options based upon teacher/assignment requirements] have the "submit" button?

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

I was thinking that changing the assignment itself to a quiz or discussion might also serve to clarify.  

ysmalls
Community Champion

I completely agree!  I used Canvas as a student and was never confused by this button and up to this point this has never come up as confusing for any of the K-12 grade levels.

chplum20
Community Novice

here is one of the definitions of submit. "present (a proposal, application, or other document) to a person or body for consideration or judgment." all you have to do is type submit in the url box and that is what pops up. and to sum up the definition it means to turn in.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's a scenario:

A student accesses the assignment page at 11:55pm on the night the assignment is due and clicks that first "Submit Assignment" button. [The one located on the top right of the browser on the assignment page. Images below]

upload.pngtext.png

From a student perspective this is the "submit action" and the student believes this is when his/her "submission" occurred. Not on the second screen with the second "Submit Assignment" button because they have already clicked a "submit" button. And, we have students who say: "I clicked the submit button before the due date and time." Which, according to the language on the button is absolutely correct. However, that button does not control the actual upload of the file to the submissions folder [step one of the submission process for file uploads] or the actual time it takes to upload or type a response. That is all handled by the second "Submit Assignment" button at the bottom of the browser page underneath the "File Upload" or Text Entry" blocks (see images below).

file upload.pngtext entry.png

Now, by the time the student has either searched for the file s/he needs to upload or typed in the text (maybe even copy/paste) it is 11:59pm and the submission is late or will not submit as it is now over due. Note, the message given after 11:59pm is "Submit Failed, please try again" which is not an indicator that the student has now passed the due date and time because remember, the student clicked the first "Submit Assignment" button before the due date.

If that first "Submit Assignment" button was where all the action happened -- the file upload, the text entry, etc-- then the language on the button would be correct, but that is not in fact where those actions happen.

With the first submit button you are not actually turning anything in as you have not gotten to that step yet.  AND on the actual page where you do submit, you also have a cancel button which gives you the option to back out of your submission which you do not have with the first submit button because you have not yet began the process where you can turn anything in.

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

More consistent language would make it easier for students new to online assignments.

ginan
Community Contributor

I think this would be a helpful change. We regularly have instances of students claiming they submitted assignments although they were still in the process of completing the assignment. This is especially problematic with Text Entry submissions, which causes students to think they're submitting in real-time while typing and later realizing they need to proceed to click "Submit Assignment" again.

Changing the terminology on the button will help clear up confusion and streamline the assignment submission process.

olsona
Community Participant

How about calling it "Submit Option(s)" or "Submission Options"?

Or just get rid of the button all together and have the submission options at the bottom of the assignment? If there has to be a button, call it "Scroll Down".

chplum20
Community Novice

or on text entry submissions add in that it is not live or have in bold hit the submit button at the bottom of the page when you are done typing out you assignment.