Clarify how to complete creating a folder in Files

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017  Learn more about voting...

Since Better File Browsing became standard 2015-06-06, teachers and TAs at our institution sometimes report difficulty with creating new folders in the Files tab of a course.  They press +Folder and see the entry blank to type a new folder name:

204742_foldercreationhint.PNGfoldercreationhint.PNG

However, they're not always certain what to do after typing that name -- which is to press the Enter key. An X button is provided onscreen, and it's relatively clear that this is how one cancels folder creation. It will be awesome when a similarly discoverable cue is provided for completing folder creation.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10)

11 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @RobDitto ​...

This is actually covered in the Canvas Guide: How do I create a folder in Files as an instructor? under the heading "Name Folder".  I would argue that creating and "saving" the folder name is similar to that of how it works on a Windows or Mac desktop to create folder names.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @RobDitto 

I can see where people might occasionally be confused because the process of creating a folder in Canvas is different than creating, say, an assignment or calendar event.  On the other hand, Chris has a good point in that creating folders in Canvas is similar to creating folders in most major operating system UIs.  Currently creating folders doesn't go to full screen the way other content items do.  How would you envision it looking?  Would there be a Create button to the right of the X?

RobDitto
Community Champion

While it is indeed documented and somewhat resembles how OS UIs work, we get questions frequently -- increasingly enough this week that I wanted to try submitting an idea.

I was following what I believed to be feature idea submission rules by not envisioning a particular implementation. If pressed, I'd say any of these design changes, or a combination of them, would help:

• Move even further toward parity with OS UIs by prepopulating the name New Folder and highlighting that name for editing.
  • Change the placeholder= attribute on the <input> tag to something like "Name (press Return/Enter when done)".  This would likely require a bit more width.
  • Add a button to the left of the X button - perhaps a green checkbox.  Add hover tooltips to both, or change to word-based labels: Create | Cancel

If this ultimately cannot be opened as a feature idea, perhaps I'll try reporting it as an accessibility issue.  I don't see anything in ARIA markup which would tell a screenreader user how to finish creating a folder. Often, laudably, accessibility improvements in Canvas clarify usage for all kinds of users.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Rob,

Thank you for coming back and providing this additional clarification.  I can see where it might appear that there is some disconnect between the feature idea guidelines and my question about specifics. I'm guessing you are referring to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1330#jive_content_id_Do_not_be_overly_prescriptive.  We may need to update the copy on that documentation.  The goal there is that we'd like for people to state what the problem or deficiency is before they move on to suggesting changes to functionality or the user interface.  We want to avoid feature requests that begin with something like 'I would like to see a button with a green check added to the folder creation dialogue box' without first explaining why this would be an improvement.  I hope that makes sense. 

I think we can go ahead and move this forward as a feature idea.  I'll also bring it to the attention of our accessibility folks.  You make a good point about accessibility concerns often leading to improvements for everybody.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@scottdennis , thanks, and you're right - the linked passage is what I had in mind. I think it's a good policy.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-11-28)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @RobDitto  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @Chris_Hofer  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New