Clarify the non-numeric values that can appear in the Score column of the Grades view.

0 Likes

The Score column can be confusing when it shows a non-numeric value, or a zero. It would be helpful to add a legend for the icons on this view, and also include tooltips when hovering over them. 

I have seen a hyphen and a checkmark. I think hyphen means it's been submitted but not graded, but I'm not really sure, and that's the problem. The hyphen does not reappear when there is a new submission.  Distinguishing the fact that a low score is from a first submission, but an ungraded resubmission exists, would be very helpful. 

Thank you.

Tags (2)
7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @JoshBuedel . Are you requesting enhancement in the instructor's view of the Gradebook or in the student's Grades tab view?

JoshBuedel
Community Member

I am a parent, so I guess it would be the Student's view.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for clarifying that, @JoshBuedel . Please add your support to  Explanation for icons on hover and we'll archive this idea to remove the duplication.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

JoshBuedel
Community Member

Will do.

JoshBuedel
Community Member

That one doesn't contain the second part of my request though. That is, to make clear when a _resubmission_ exists but has not been graded. As a parent I spend a lot of time in this view working with my son to make sure he is caught up. It's a constant exchange of "this one has a zero" (from me) and "I submitted it already" (from him). Of course, being a kid I often have to dig deeper to see if he actually _re_submitted or not, and if he did, did he still get a zero.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JoshBuedel , I agree; please add that to the comments section of the existing idea. Once this project comes around for potential development, part of our product team's scoping process is to read every comment that is posted under an idea, so as to incorporate as much of our members' feedback as possible in the solution.