[Gradebook] Class Average in Gradebook

I would like to share the idea of adding a "Calculate Class Average" in the Gradebook for each course. Right now, a teacher may view the average for each assignment by selecting "Assignment Details" but you cannot view the average of all the students' averages. So for example, if there were two students in a class, and if there are ten assignments for each student, and one student has a total assignment average of 100% and the other student has a total assignment average of 50%, the class average (the two students together) would be 75%. This could be particularly useful for determining whether or not a teacher is grading overall too harshly or overall too easily. For example, a class average of 90% may indicate that the teacher is grading all assignment overall too easily. This feature is in X2 Aspen and is listed at the bottom of the column that displays each students individual average for the class. I've attached a sample of what this looks like in X2 Aspen and would be really helpful in Canvas.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @karl_thompsen  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Have you had a chance to check out what's available to you in course analytics? Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10299-415266790 

We're looking forward to your feedback.

karl_thompsen
Community Novice

Thanks for the feedback. To my knowledge Course Analytics does not provide the class average, but only medians for individual assignments and averages for individual students, not the average of all the student's averages in the class.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@karl_thompsen ‌, are you envisioning having this available as an additional option in the dropdown menu of the Total column in the Gradebook? 

karl_thompsen
Community Novice

That would be great. Or, as in the screenshot of the X2 set-up, simply have the class average totaled at the very bottom (or top) of the final column that lists individual student averages. But either works, as long as there is a quick way to see what the class average of all student averages is. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks! The idea is open for voting. Smiley Happy

sarah_speight
Community Novice

I, too, would like to be able to see the class average for each Quarter. This is important when ensuring their is an adequate bell curve or better.  

veltenr
Community Novice

I cannot understand why such a fundamental feature as displaying a class average is so difficult for Instructure to develop.  I've been teaching classes since we had grade calculation programs in BASIC and we could get class averages then.  And I think WebCT in addition to Blackboard had this capability as well.

cwolff
Community Novice

I would like to see the class average of Assignment Groups as well.

demwood
Community Novice

I need the class average statistics for assignments, quizzes, final exam and course grade. Please add this into Canvas gradebook. 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @karl_thompsen ‌

You can find the high, low and medium scores for all graded content in Course Analytics.  Not ideal, but it does work. Learn more at How do I view Course Analytics? 

Also, Analytics is in the midst of a huge overhaul, and you can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/analytics 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley