[Gradebook] Class Average in Gradebook

I would like to share the idea of adding a "Calculate Class Average" in the Gradebook for each course. Right now, a teacher may view the average for each assignment by selecting "Assignment Details" but you cannot view the average of all the students' averages. So for example, if there were two students in a class, and if there are ten assignments for each student, and one student has a total assignment average of 100% and the other student has a total assignment average of 50%, the class average (the two students together) would be 75%. This could be particularly useful for determining whether or not a teacher is grading overall too harshly or overall too easily. For example, a class average of 90% may indicate that the teacher is grading all assignment overall too easily. This feature is in X2 Aspen and is listed at the bottom of the column that displays each students individual average for the class. I've attached a sample of what this looks like in X2 Aspen and would be really helpful in Canvas.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
jeff_lee
Community Novice

I would love to see a class average, not only for the total but for each category in the gradebook. This is pretty standard in most gradebooks and very useful information for teachers. 

veltenr
Community Novice

Hi Jeffrey,

I’m able to get a class average from the dashboard where your courses are displayed. The toggle is on the lower or upper right side of the screen where you have the option of arraying your courses in different ways. Individual assignment averages can be viewed by clicking the tiny icon on the right of the column where the column name is.

Best wishes,

Ron Velten

Sent from my iPhone

jeff_lee
Community Novice

Thanks for the reply, Ron. I was hoping to have some averages listed right in the gradebook. I would like to have category class averages instead of just single assignments. I recently had an IEP meeting where they required class averages for vocabulary, comprehension, etc., but I had to manually calculate it all.

ingridwright
Community Novice

I would also like to see averages for every type of assignment and the total average. 

craggsj
Community Novice

This is very opportune. I actually needed this information for my third year review and couldn’t believe this wasn’t automatically calculated by Canvas. To me, this would qualify as basic information Canvas calculates. I really hope this suggestion is adopted.

mlewis
Community Explorer

I hope this functionality gets built into Canvas - in the meantime, here's a tutorial video I made for getting averages of total grades broken out by section by using the Explore feature in Google Sheets.

Canvas Section Averages

Edit: Originally said "broken out by subject", when I meant section.

milesl
Community Contributor

In case anyone is looking for what Ron is describing, you can find it by clicking "view scores" from your dashboard:

screenshot of course average grades

eawillard
Community Novice

It is strange to me that this is not a capability already. Also, the information exists, because when you are grading an assignment from the to-do list, it shows up at the top bar. I forgot to look at the end, because once you have finished the to-do list item, I can't figure out how to get back to that screen view (where you can just click through each assignment). I've spent a long time clicking around and looking on message boards but can't figure out how to get the class average, or even get back to that screen once the to-do list item has disappeared from the side bar. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? This is massively frustrating! Please make the class average for a specific assignment easily available, this is something that students want to know all the time. 

rerickson2
Community Novice

This is a huge fault with Canvas, a "blackeye" if you will that diminishes Canvas's capabilities in my "eyes". It is hard to fathom that the gradebook in Canvas can not calculate an average (the mean for you math teachers) for a particular assignment. The simplest or cheaper versions of course management systems e.g. Angel, all versions of Blackboard, etc. has this feature.

It irritates me not being able to tell my class the range of grades, mean, (and median and mode) without me getting out my calculator and punching in every grade to find the average. I did this 40 years ago when I started in the teaching profession!!

Thanks for a chance for ranting...

Rod

craggsj
Community Novice

Rod,

I am relatively new to using CANVAS.

This is seriously not an option?

Jason