Click images to enlarge on screen

(1)
I'd like the ability to set images (or links to images) to enlarge in Canvas the way they do here in the community (maybe by setting the target to overlay?). Click the image for an example:

184208_2016-02-21+17.51.12-1 smaller.jpgSarasota bay as seen from the eastern coast of Bradenton beach

This could be useful for images in quizzes, like a periodic table.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

39 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

You bet, Richard!

olexar
Community Contributor

From my syllabus: All assessments are timed, allowing 1 minute and 30 seconds per question. Smiley Wink

olexar
Community Contributor

100.png

BOOM! :smileycheck: Smiley Happy Thanks for voting folks! Hopefully, there won't be any more down votes.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Congrats olexar​! Plus, its a great idea!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Simply out of curiousity, I'm wondering what the reason for the down vote was?  Usually people have a good reason for why they specifically don't want to see a change made to Canvas.

@pwade2 ​

ahardesty
Community Participant

Would love to have this feature in Canvas. Thank you for suggesting!

olexar
Community Contributor

Absolutely! Thanks for voting Aimee!

olexar
Community Contributor

Hey folks! Thank you all for voting and commenting! I'm really happy that this idea has gotten traction, and hopefully we'll see it implemented! While not really related, I wanted to share another one of my ideas that I'd really like to see implemented: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Let students see their quiz responses at a specific date.​ I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out, and even more if you'd give it a vote up! :smileygrin: Thanks!

gmm193
Community Member

This is an essential feature and would make images more accessible for students. While suggestions of HTML code are nice, I don't want to end up needing to learn to write HTML code for basic features that CANVAS might integrate for us. Not to mention, that when you teach an online course, where this would be particularly useful, the course will be one of many and realistically we don't have time to hand code every image file. I am already doing this in order to lay my images and text in line on each page for better consistency with different browsers without resorting to hidden tables. I have put in a request for this option as well so please vote for my idea:

olexar
Community Contributor

Hey  @scottdennis , I just went over to vote up " modifiedtitle="true" title="Rich Content Editor... and something weird happened. I clicked vote up, and it voted down. I had to click again to fix it. If I had just clicked and moved on, it may've stayed a down vote. It may've just been a weird one-time thing, or something I did (that button is pretty big though), but maybe not.. I wonder if downvotes have increased after the latest updates to the community... Just thought I'd mention it. (Chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) btw)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Richard,

You are the second person that we have heard from about this same issue.  I'm going to go ahead and open a support ticket with Jive about this and see what they say.  Thank you for the heads up.

olexar
Community Contributor

Gathering info! :smileylaugh:

Dozer's reaction to the news:

giphy.gif

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have posted a blog called Lightbox Effect which could be used as a work-around until Instructure develops this into the core Canvas system.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We love everyone's enthusiasm and suggested work arounds. Given the resources being devoted to other large projects, we aren't going to be able to get this idea in our backlog over the next 6 months.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Yes, this would so nice to have. There are so many times students can't see pictures very well and this would be really helpful. I really hope that Instructure looks more at this one again.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@timothy_maw ...

By chance, did you see my blog posting just a few postings above this one on how I made a "Lightbox Effect"?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Our Product Team reviewed some of our oldest feature proposals recently, and this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!