[Studio] Closed Caption editing in ARC

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

#Closed Caption creation for #arc is great but can be a challenge to #Edit the CC text.  The video text is a long scrolling field that scrolls away from the video as you progress.  When you stop the video to edit you must scroll back to the top of the video to restart playing, scroll all the way back down to the active text to continue proofing.  

I recommend placing the #CC text into a scrolling field which allows the video to remain on screen or a video control panel that stays on screen.  This would make it easy to start and stop the video while editing.  @Gentry Davies 

Added to Theme

13 Comments
darrinj
Community Novice

This something that would be very helpful, and I think this fix would work great.

joe_lambe
Community Member

Great comment. Being able to view the captions and the text  together would make the editing process so much better, especially if it's a lengthy recording. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I was going to post a similar Feature Idea, but then found this one.  Excellent suggestion, a9ba4d94dea0a5f5975d0ce7bb2f5cf0a13648726d1205b46216a4fee262b8c5!  I was even thinking that the video could be on the left side of the screen (in a locked frame of some kind), and the text could be in a scrolling frame on the right side of the screen.  Both options seem better than it currently is...especially if your CC text is quite long.  (Deactivated user‌ and Deactivated user‌)

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, this is a great idea. The page https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9664-50736657092  mentions the Amara tool, which is also what is recommended for the video embed/record tool in the Rich Content Editor in Canvas. Amara works but requires a distinct account and requires lots of clicks and downloads. Building in caption editing would better distinguish the Arc tool.

snarej
Community Novice

We are considering adopting Arc but the caption editor definitely seems to be lacking functionality. Does anyone have a workflow with a professional captioning company (like 3Play Media) where videos are sent to them and the captions returned? Any hints would be appreciated.

snarej
Community Novice

In addition, the video needs to stop playing when you are typing so you can catch up.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

While this solution is particular to California's community colleges, the current workflow for our faculty might work as a model:

• After creating a video, the instructor uploads it first to 3C Media Solutions, which is a video serving and hosting project supported by the state chancellor's office.
  • That project has a back-end connection to another statewide project, the Distance Education Captioning And Transcription grant. This connection allows the instructor to fill in a simple form and have that video captioned, which takes a few days.
  • Once captioned, the caption file can be downloaded from 3C Media Solutions and then uploaded along with the video to Arc.

I hope that the Arc developers will make it easy to integrate other video management systems, especially to help with captioning.

ataylor30
Community Contributor

I agree that this would be very helpful and I hope this does get implemented sometime down the road. I wanted to throw in what I usually suggest to Arc users; if you embed the video into a page or assignment or quiz, save the item, and then go to edit the captions there, you do actually get a scrolling frame for the captions. Maybe that will help some people save time until this gets implemented.

ngarland
Community Member

I agree and also have another suggestion.  There should be a search and replace function while editing CC text.

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @darrinj@joe_lambe@Chris_Hofer@ProfessorBeyrer@ataylor30@ngarland,

Although it's quote an old topic, I wanted to let you all know that we'll address the question of captioning experience in Studio soon. Positioning, editing and a lot more also from a student standpoint, so we created a survey around this to explore the needs.  

We would be really grateful if you could take the time to fill it! Since captioning is crucial from video consumption point of view, we would be thrilled if this survey was filled out by students as well who are spending time watching lecture videos, submitting video-based assignments and so on. That would gives us the whole picture when it comes to video consumption and creation.  

Link to survey: https://t.maze.co/88929405

Also feel free to reach out to me in private if you would like to talk to us in this matter, we are always happy to hear feedback!

Thank you,

Akos