Codes for assignments

0 Likes

It is extremely time-consuming to mark "missing" on every missing assignment. It would be far better if an assignment past the due date with no submission could automatically be marked as missing. Also, if we could just type "m" for missing and "e" for excused (like in MyStudent) it would save a lot of time.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@mofroerer 

Thanks for sharing these ideas. With respect to the first one, this is possible: instructors can apply a missing policy to their Gradebook, as detailed in How do I apply a Missing Submission policy in the Gradebook?; a submission is labeled missing when the due date has passed and the assignment has not been submitted.

Turning to the second idea, instructors can type EX into a gradebook cell to mark an assignment as excused. While the gradebook doesn't support typing an M directly into a cell to denote that an assignment is missing, once the instructor has applied the missing submission policy, that won't be necessary; the label will populate the cells automatically after the due date has passed.

In light of the existing functionality, we've archived this idea.

Thanks again! Stay safe, and stay well. 🙂

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

mofroerer
Community Explorer
Thank you for your response. My biggest problem is this: 
  • The Missing Submission policy will not be automatically applied to No Submission, On Paper, or External Tool assignments. However, a Missing label can be added in the Grade Detail Tray.
I have a lot of assignments that are external tool, which I still grade through Canvas and Easy Grader. Therefore, I still have to go in and mark "missing" on every one of those assignments, and it's a huge pain. This is the problem I have with Canvas in general: I have to click through four or five links or go through a time-intensive process when I should be able to do the same thing in one click or an easy process. It would be great if some of these things that take so much time were made more user-friendly, because honestly, Canvas is the opposite of user-friendly. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mofroerer 

Thanks for adding those details. You might want to join in on the conversations around this currently underway at Option for missing assignments to get a zero if using external tool and Apply Missing Submission Policy to all Assignment Types.