Collaborations: Add Google Sheets

It would be great if we could have students collaborate on google sheets as well as google docs. This is particularly important for science teachers who have students collect data for analysis. Thank you for your consideration!!
20 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for voting! Smiley Wink

nstevens
Community Member

I agree, Michael!  Our kids are now 1:1 with Chromebooks, so that would be a fantastic tool to add to our 'arsenal'

qstarks
Community Participant

Great idea Michael.  Like Nathan, our kids have chromebooks as well.  So far Canvas has been a great resource.  I think this would be a nice addition.

mcj5
Community Novice

I agree. There is no reason to restrict collaboration to docs. sheets also connect with googleforms and are particularly useful for students collecting data collaboratively.

kself
Community Novice

While we are a it, then, why don't we have a full google drive integration.  It would be nice to be able to collaborate on slides too.

gstonecipher
Community Novice

Absolutely, Kellye. I am taking on online class use Canvas right now, and it is very difficult to collaborate without the use of more tools than just text documents. The assignment we're working on right now really requires the use of sheets and draw. We've created the necessary tools outside of Canvas and shared them, but it would be so much better if we could get there through the collaborations section.

brueckert
Community Champion

Definitely voting this one up. This would make shared data collection in lab groups very streamlined.

qswallow
Instructure
Instructure

This would be fantastic. I taught language, math, science and social studies, and used Sheets as much as Docs, if not more ... even in language / writing. Sheets makes tracking group tasks so much easier, and would be a natural fit for Collaborations.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@hbrickhouse ​ submitted a related feature idea which is also currently open for voting:

jtrattner
Community Novice

I think take it a step further - any of the Google parts - sheets, slides, docs, drawings.  Would also like to see a way to put in an already created google doc/sheet/drawing/slide for students to collaborate on

blachleyjo
Community Novice

Student collaboration is important but I think the document and tool should be created in a Canvas environment.  Many of my students are not comfortable signing up for google documents. 

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Google Forms is a pretty good workaround when you want multiple students to do data entry into a spreadsheet. Whatever information students supply in answer to questions is saved in a spreadsheet. Also, students can input their information without having to sign up for a google account.  For example, here's a form I created that deals with sound symbolism:  Do these sounds convey any meaning?​   

Students can view the responses as either a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BA4qWCkVz5Nb4pcWbRUVRipUenM-ALsg21PvTB7Hgr8/edit#gid=1448485... )  or as a set of charts (Do these sounds convey any meaning? - Google Forms​ ). 

The main problem with Google Forms is that the online help is pretty slender (Docs editors Help  ). But it is very easy to make a form.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is an area we would like to make at least incremental improvements to during the next year. If anyone on this thread would like to be part of the process of validating some of our ideas around improving Google integration points, please contact me: allison@instructure.com

kona
Community Champion

Yes!!!! 🙂

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Absolutely "Yes" for me too. I will shoot you an email, Allison so that you have a record.

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

athompson
Community Novice

John, I work around that by changing the Sharing settings for each Collaboration document I create. I set them to "Anyone who has the link can edit", and then all class members can access it through Canvas. The only drawback here is that they show up as Anonymous when they are viewing or editing, so I don't know who is doing the edits.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

m_spek
Community Member

It this possible now?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!