cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Coding Modules and Assignments

Color Coding Modules and Assignments

0 Kudos
(6)

Please add the ability to color code assignments/pages/quizzes/discussion titles within a module. I am a 5th grade teacher and my students are struggling to effectively navigate Canvas without the visual aid of colors. My colleagues who teach Kindergarten-2nd grade would also greatly appreciate this added support, as their students cannot read yet. The ability for these teachers to be able to refer to assignments and pages within a module by referencing the color associated would be a powerful tool and greatly increase student success. The text within the title is still vitally important and I am not suggesting that color coding take the place of a written title. Maybe there is a happy medium and at one end of the title, there could be a box that teachers could fill with color, but also leave the title written in text with white background to ensure those with vision deficiencies are still being supported

34 Comments
jhans59
Surveyor

Either the whole box, or just the text color... Either way would be fabulous!

BigSmiles8
Surveyor

Teachers should be able to change the color of the text header section.  I am not talking about the font.  The whole section/ bar should have a pastel color so it can be visually easier for students to see the different text header topics that we may have in one module.  Students are having difficulties locating and seeing specific activities.

jenny_kanagy
Surveyor

Give option for text style in Module creation.

Being able to bold, or highlight, or change the line color within a module for organization and emphasis.

sciteacher
Surveyor

I would love to be able to change the color of text headers within a module.  This would emphasize it for the students.  Even if it was only one or two colors, it would be extremely helpful.

sciteacher
Surveyor

Allow color to text headers within a module.  This signifies importance to a topic and distinguishes it from the module title.

c_osborne
Surveyor

I agree with this suggestion.  I use color to distinguish topics and assignments from different cohorts as well.  Since students are online why not use color?  

Thank you.

togabrarian
Surveyor

I would also like this feature. It would help keep the module organized and make it easier for students to recognize different parts of a module.

JVisco
Surveyor

Agree!  This would allow students to differentiate between a Page and other modules, like quizzes and assignments, considered "subgroups" (indented) that fall under a main Page.

urbansk6
Surveyor II

I would love this—as is, the text headers and indentations only change up/organize the module formatting a little bit, which can make it hard to follow and sometimes overwhelming if there's a lot of content.

nmacko
Surveyor

I support the idea for adding color to pages without having to use tables and in the Modules for easier reference. I use a different color for an agenda, class activities, readings and screenings by making tables in each page. I save it as a template to reuse. But being able to change the page color would be so much easier. 

mballard1
Surveyor

Many of my teachers are asking for this feature. Especially the ability to add colors to texts in headers and to make the headers different colors. It would awesome!

cynthia_carling
Surveyor II

Like others before me have stated color would be a huge improvement! Understanding that color can be a challenge, I had a student that could not see green. Options could be text in a color outlined in black. Also, text can remain black with the header, page, quiz, etc title have a highlight color behind it. Those of us with long modules struggle to differentiate items. The same argument can be made about using color in the instructions of an assignment (re: color deficiency). I have not been able to find a way to center text headers either. Options create ways to differentiate at a glance. Did your eye go to the red? It helps with organization.

I can type in color within a page, quiz, assignment, etc. Which is great, because I can make text stand out. I urge you to work with educators and listen to our concerns.

bowmanr
Adventurer III

@MattHanes 

Would you explain the actual procedure you use to put the icons into the assignment names.

edited

@MattHanes 

Never mind - I figured out what was causing my problems.

cynthia_carling
Surveyor II

Sorry for the delay. I'm glad you figured it out. I use the control + command + shift key and the emoji menu comes up.