cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Coding Modules and Assignments

Color Coding Modules and Assignments

0 Kudos
(12)

Please add the ability to color code assignments/pages/quizzes/discussion titles within a module. I am a 5th grade teacher and my students are struggling to effectively navigate Canvas without the visual aid of colors. My colleagues who teach Kindergarten-2nd grade would also greatly appreciate this added support, as their students cannot read yet. The ability for these teachers to be able to refer to assignments and pages within a module by referencing the color associated would be a powerful tool and greatly increase student success. The text within the title is still vitally important and I am not suggesting that color coding take the place of a written title. Maybe there is a happy medium and at one end of the title, there could be a box that teachers could fill with color, but also leave the title written in text with white background to ensure those with vision deficiencies are still being supported

46 Comments
ny2
Surveyor II

@bowmanr Thank you for your help w/color coding!! I did it!! Course Modules  SCIENCE.png

bowmanr
Lamplighter

@ny2 

That looks great - I have not done anything yet with my courses because we just finished the semester.  However, I was thinking of making quizzes 1 color, projects another color and homework a third color.  Plus, I do not know how this all looks in the To-Do list or on the calendar(something I just thought of).  

My only concern with doing the color coding would be the accessibility requirements that is out there.  There is probably someone at your school that would be able to tell you if it is okay to use that type of coloration.  

I always have to think about it because it does not affect me in any way.  However, if a student has visual problems some schemes may be worse than others.

bontomasin
Surveyor

I would agree that Colour coding would be extremely beneficial. I currently use symbols but when we sync to the gradebook symbols transfer as ?????? and then the gradebook is a mess and must be modified by hand. 

Colours could be limited, the box could have coloured borders etc. I work with a number of visually impaired students and there are ways to add colour for the 28 students per class period and still meet the visual needs of the 2-3 students in each class who have an impairment. 

"In addition, ADA Compliance requires that there be contrast between backgrounds and the text of a page, so what colors are available in which combinations is fairly limited. It should be noted that the General Web Design Standards do not recommend white text on a dark background." It does not preclude the use of colour in its entirety. 

Web Accessibility guidelines focus on Contrast & Color

Find colors that provide maximum contrast, including enough contrast between content and the background, so that text and non-decorative images are legible for anyone with low vision or color deficiencies.

Best Practices

• Ratio: Text and interactive elements should have a color contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1.
  • Color as indicator: Color should not be the only indicator for interactive elements. For example, underline links on hover, or mark a required field with an asterisk.
  • Color blindness: Red/green color blindness is the most common, so avoid green on red or red on green. (Think especially about avoiding using red and green for “bad” and “good” indicators).

In addition, there are recommended colour pallettes and guidelines which could be built in to achieve compliance. https://briteweb.com/tools/ada-compliance-color-palettes/

bowmanr
Lamplighter

@bontomasin 

Thanks for the information and especially the link.  I am becoming more aware of accessibility issues - although I have never had to deal with any students(that I know of - no one has told me they have problems).  Now that I know about using Latex for creating colorized text, I need to make sure that it is readable by everyone.

JamesSinger
Surveyor

I love this idea! When you're editing the title (for whatever it is, assignment, quiz, text header) you could toggle a "color background" and a palette would appear. The color would then tint the line in the module. It could use grayscale, color-blind accessible, or different kinds of "shading" (dots, lines, etc). 

juhall
Surveyor II

Color-coding as an additional form of differentiation and organization would be an awesome addition. Providing a range of ways for teachers to organize their courses based on the individual needs of their students is accommodation at its best.