Colored Font

0 Likes
(7)

When using modules, I would like to be able to differentiate some of my posts by using a different color of writing.  Please add the ability to have colored Headers and titles. 

Tags (1)
86 Comments
ebjones
Community Member

Here's my sample that I'd like to have. I think this would be amazing for special edu, myself, and many others as I'm 100% a visual learner. If we could tint the colored areas sorta like my graphic I think that would be a great feature. 

Canvas module color suggestion.png

mrreg
Community Novice

I think it would be very helpful if you could color code text headers in modules by changing the background. Can this be added?

galedn
Community Member

This would absolutely be beneficial for accessibility, navigation, and clarity. Symbols are tedious and cluttered, but color-coding would help differentiate tasks and responsibilities.

blackg
Community Novice

Two things to observe...your site for new ideas is overly busy and your word search feature does not align entirely with what is typed: I typed "color" so any entry with "color" came up, even though I could not find one that matched completely what I am proposing. Please make your idea site easier to use.

My idea: currently only black type is available to post material in modules - no matter an assignment, a page etc. It would be great to be able to put certain categories of material to be posted in a variety of colors. For example, for assignments, I would like to be able to post the headings in red to make those stand out.

Second idea: high-school environments are very different from college and what works for a college does not always work for the more complex set of circumstances in a high school (IEPs, 504s, multi-language etc.) For grading purposes, Canvas is very blunt - you need a number to post a grade. I would like the additional flexibility of posting a letter(s). For example: NS - not scored; TS - temporary score pending resubmission; I - incomplete, not scored. You get the idea. I realize I can put comments to students but being able to post those letters would speed up grading and provide a clear, visible explanation in Canvas...at the moment a blank conveys no information...did the teacher not yet grade it? 

Thanks for reviewing these suggestions.

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @blackg,

The Idea Conversations space is used to create conversations around features for Instructure products, like Canvas. To request changes or offer feedback for the Community site, add a post with detailed examples and/or screenshots to the Community Hub group

Also, when posting an idea only one idea should be included in a post - to avoid confusion that may happen when commenting and rating is enabled. So you'll need to split up your other two ideas for them to be considered. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out or check out the How do I create a new idea conversation? guide. 

Naomi

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@blackg  As Naomi says, our members won't be able to engage in a focused manner on this idea, so we've archived and locked this idea so that the threads from existing ideas don't branch off. The color idea you're seeking is  Color Coding Modules and Assignments. The long-standing and actively monitored letter grade idea is  Can't a letter grade just be a letter grade? and here's another one at  Gradebook: Custom Grade Codes  (but see my additional note below).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Requests for additional grade statuses, generally speaking, need to be coordinated with a school's SIS. Most K-12 schools sync their grades with a third-party SIS which they view as the source of truth for grade record keeping. If you'd like to suggest additional status grades composed of letters, please write it as a request that includes the name of the SIS your school uses, as each one would need to be developed in partnership with that third-party provider.

KarenKlie
Community Member

I am a middle school teacher.  The ability to color code modules, etc. would be helpful for students to navigate Canvas and more appealing.

patrizia
Community Novice

patrizia
Community Novice

Hi there

Would it be possible to create additional functions such as colour coding and the ability to bold text in banner headers?

TMilich
Community Member

I think it would be good if we could Background Color Modules and/or Banner Pages so to bring more attention if desired.  Or....Allow us to Hi-lite a statement in our Modules or Banner Pages.

RichardKinsey
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman  @

Thx @Ron_Bowman! Thinking I can make a table/sheet(generator?) that teachers who wanted could paste or type the desired text in the correct place. Still interested in adding icons w/ colors(pondering accessibility still).

@ I tried the unicode pasting and when viewing in Moduleds they are all B&W. Change in Canvas?

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@RichardKinsey 

I believe the issue with color versus black and white has to do with the browser (or computer) - I ran into that issue when I was first posting on this matter.  My work computer had them colored and my computer at home did not.   I have not really used the icons mainly for worrying about the differences between computers browsers and if the students are using their phones - which has different views than computers.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

EstebanOrtiz
Community Member

My modules can get cluttered with assignments, handouts, and resources. I wished there was a way to organize in a way that would make more sense to all students. My type-A students can easily see through it however, my type-B students can get lost in the mess off of the list. By using colors to identify the different items all students will be able to navigate through the module section with more ease. 

amy_koger
Community Explorer

I love this feature idea and am watching. 

Color coding (not in place of  accessibility component symbols for page, assignments, discussions, etc.) could be a great way to give students more structure and organization - especially the littles., and when offering an alternate, modified assignment to a smaller group of students.   Those students end up seeing both assignments (it's too much work to assign individually, and I need to 'assign all' in order to sync to my SIS.)  Currently, I explain "If you see a version with a star, make sure you do that one only. If you only see one version, do that one."

Basically - color coding could IMPROVE accessibility when used systematically!

AaronButler
Community Member

We are a small university and have just signed up for Canvas. We are transitioning in the fall and I have  been looking at trying to do some simple branding to match our existing courses in Moodle. Not being able to modify the color of the module headings is not good and quite the disappointment as we had this in Moodle and expected to have it in Canvas as well. All our curriculum documents use our two colors (blue & green) and not being able to do this in Canvas seems like something that is broken rather than a "feature" as has been expressed earlier in this thread. We support the addition of module header color selection in the theme editor.

Aaron Butler

Warner Pacific University LMS Content Manager

joshua_johnson1
Community Explorer

I'm going to upvote this one.  I'm wondering if there is a way to target just the Text Header <div> in the CSS stylesheet?  I just want to help separate a large module visually as well as textually.

WLC- 2-10-2022 0002 .png

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@joshua_johnson1 -

Until Canvas builds it in, you can do it by using LaTex in the Text header name.  

If you want, you can even have the header name centered on the line - color the text and the background.

Once you have one setup, it is just easy to copy and paste for others.

AaronButler
Community Member

I don't see a way to access a text editor for the Module headers - how would I do that?