Combine multi-page submissions into one complete submission

0 Likes
(5)

My students often submit multiple files (usually pictures) per Canvas assignment. This is easy for them, but is a HUGE burden to me as I have to open each and every file for grading purposes. This process would be streamlined if multi-page submissions were converted in Canvas to a single pdf that could be scrolled through rather than multiple pages requiring a wait to download/view each one. 

Tags (3)
5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

barry_lamb
Community Member

I've had a faculty member report frustration with this same issue. Students are filling out paper packets that are part of a home lab kit. When students upload with their phone, it is 1 page at a time which creates a huge time burden for the instructor on the assembling/grading/feedback end.

We are having to show students how to use 3rd party apps from Adobe/Microsoft to combine multiple pages before submitting to Canvas. This helps but is not ideal because it creates a time burden for students, the need to download another app, and an increase in tech support calls for students who have difficulty with this process. Thanks!

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

For me, I don't see a problem with having to click to View each one.   But it would be a problem to have to Download each one.

anne_lightbody
Community Explorer

When students upload multiple photographs from their phone of a single assignment, the photographs are not necessarily displayed in order in SpeedGrader. Grading these assignments is then a pain, because the TA/grader has to figure out the view order for each student individually, and each clicked image takes a few seconds to load. It would be so nice to be able to scroll up/down the compiled assignment in order, like you can in a PDF. We are also resorting to requiring students to use 3rd party apps, but it would be nice to have them just upload directly to Canvas.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.