(3)

For better organization

Tags (2)
7 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Christine.

I've moved your idea over to Commons Feature Ideas​ since it is more related to Commons than Canvas. The voting process there is a bit different in that all new submissions are open for voting.

However, in order for our team to better understand your request, can you please expand upon it? What is it that you want to organize? Where in the Commons interface do you anticipate to use this functionality?

Thanks!

Smiley Happy

christinemorgan
Community Member
Author

We have sub accounts but within the sub accounts (English) we would like to have a folder structure (English 9, English 10, World Lit) so that the items are easy to find and the area is not so messy.

kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi christinemorgan ​, Thank you for sharing your idea, it's these comments that help us continue to develop Commons and make it great. I'm excited to say we are working on the ability to share resources to a custom group of users that has been created by an admin. I hope that this might be a solution to the concern you share above. As we roll out this feature later this year we would love to hear feedback on how it works for you.

Thanks and all the best,

Kate McGee

Commons Product Manager

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Deactivated user, we already use groups, but within groups the group managers want better organization than just a list of items.  Folders would be much better - "Modules" "Quizzes" "Introductory material" "Student orientation" etc.

Is this idea for having folders in Commons still in development, or is having groups the only result?

Groups are great by the way.  Thanks!

tconner
Community Member

I'm not sure if this is still being considered, but folders in Commons would be fantastic.  I have a course that I'd like other instructors from my institution to be able to pick and choose parts to use, but I don't want them to have to import the entire course.  Having folders would make it much easier to publish a folder of assignments, a folder of discussions, a folder of pages, etc. instead of making faculty look through over 100 individual items.

dschnupp
Community Member

Agreed. Seems like they started considering this back in 2016 but still hasn't become a feature.  Folders would make organizational structure of materials much more streamlined and easier to find. Please consider. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!