Commons Permalinks (direct URL link to content)

Currently, sharing specific content with users in the commons is a bit difficult. I need to instruct users what keywords to search for and the exact title of the item I want them to use.

I believe permalinks that point directly to an object in the commons would be very useful. Something that could be shared with a Canvas user that would direct them to an item in the Commons. Pardon my horrible rendition (I'm not a designer), but this gives an idea of what I mean:

75192_permalink_idea.pngpermalink_idea.png

Original posting for this feature idea: Shareable URL links

If I create content and I want to inform teachers how to find the content easily in the commons, it seems it would be easy if I could generate a quick shareable link that would take any user directly to the resource. I may have missed something, but I don't think a feature like this currently exists.

Transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Robert Caldwell

Additional contributions by: Michelle Lattke

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Ready Release Notes (2020-04-04) 

16 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@caldwell ​ I think this is a fantastic idea! Perhaps having a "share" section with several ways to share the content, would be nice.

1. Get Link (permalink url)
  2. Shave via email
  3. Share to twitter
  4. etc.

I'm going to pass your idea over to the Commons Feature Ideas​ space to make sure it gets the proper attention.

Thanks for submitting this!

curtain
Community Participant

Yes, this would be excellent for making it easier for people to get to important resources.  Giving people titles and keywords and asking them to search is a bit much sometimes.  Our institution would use this a lot and right away.

Not applicable

Permalinks to Canvas Commons would be really useful at my institution as well!

mikescheid
Community Contributor

I was in the process of adding this as a request!  It is silly that there is now way to direct someone to a specific resource in commons with out training them to search for specific things.

Please please add this feature!

kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you so much for your comments on this feature. It makes us so happy to hear people be passionate about our products and that you want more!!

It's something we would love to add to Commons, and we hope to be able to, currently though because we are an LTI app inside of Canvas, we aren't able to provide permalinks 😕 

We are looking into some options in the future that might make this possible given some additional functionality built first.

Thank you again, we are so lucky to have amazing customers that care about the user experience.

Best,

Kate McGee

Commons Product Manager

harris60
Community Contributor

I also support this idea. I would like to clarify/add one additional use for this. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

As I understand it, commons allows me to import material that has been shared. Once I import it, that material is part of my course and is not directly tied to the original commons material? There are times when I would like to share/import a document where changes to the master are automatically reflected in the shared locations. For example, an admin in my department could keep an updated page on common policies: holidays, disability accommodations, etc.

I or any other instructor could then include a link to this document in our syllabus. This would require the permalink to be accessible to users.

steve_simpson
Community Novice

When you are browsing assets in the Commons, the URL does not change.  However, the URL can be copied by right clicking the link and selecting "copy link address."  This will enable you to share specific content with other users without specifying search parameters. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 3.03.42 PM.png

christopher_gil
Community Participant

Steve, you are the Man! Thanks for discovering this solution.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

e_m_kiley
Community Participant

I would also like to be able to share a link to *my* contributions to Canvas Commons. Is there a way that this capability can be added for a user?--To compile all of the user's submissions and allow a permalink to that?