Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on one screen for grading

(24)
I would love to see and grade all written responses (essays) to a quiz question at one time, on one screen.  If I need to grade #12 manually, for example, I would like all the #12 responses grouped together with a way to input grades for each one.  The "grade by question" feature as it is now still makes you go through each student's quiz separately and does not save any time at all...it basically just gives bookmarks to each question.  I am still doing a whole lot of scrolling to the bottom of the page to update scores or past a bunch of questions that have already been graded automatically.
Comments from Instructure

We have several related ideas we're tracking around this request:

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on ... (this one)

Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes

Improve Grade One Question at a time

New Quizzes: Grade by Question on one page

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

55 Comments
fuhrmann
Community Member

Thank you for your comment.  I was not aware that they dropped this essential upgrade.  Time to urge adoption of a new LMS.

remerick
Community Novice

And now it's been almost 5.

dbalog
Community Novice

I see that this initial request has been made approximately 5 years ago and has received hundreds of votes.  Is this page still active?  How do we get this request to be seen & heard by the developers of canvas? This feature would be extremely beneficial.  

remerick
Community Novice

From other posts, my guess is they really don't care. They have this forum for us to complain, and they hope we get it out of ours system.

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

The workflow for marking single questions needs attention. Jumping to a single question, marking, and then moving to the next students requires too many clicks. it would be preferred to be able to bring up a single question answers for a SECTION of students, and that the marking was done within the page (or being able to nominate a suitable number of answers at a time to mark at once; 5, 10, 15). 

quiz to do‌ quiz problems student marking 

alexander
Community Explorer

As I transition from Blackboard to Canvas, the absence of this feature is one of the only things I have been surprised and disappointed by.  (In general, Canvas seems much better.)  Bb gave me the ability to grade all responses to a single question on one screen, with student names hidden.  Please develop this feature for New Quizzes!

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

Yes, this would have been one of the things you'd like to see followed up. It was a neat feature of Bb gradebook. 

sarah_prescott
Community Member

Please make sure this is absolutely added - I depend on it, and will have to use some external app if it is not added when my university makes us all switch over to the new quizzes. New quizzes should ADD functionality, not take away what was already working perfectly. 

kmallen
Community Contributor

Were all of the votes for this idea removed with the Canvas community migration happened? I'm seeing recent comments but only 2 votes for this idea.

j_h_tetlow
Community Participant

Markers need to be able to grade one question at a time. This aids their marking process as they can then keep all the marking criteria in mind for an individual question, and then the marking process is more efficient, consistent and quicker.

JD_Ponder
Community Explorer

Has there been any update on this?  I see the original post is over 5 years old.  This would be extremely beneficial to higher ed.

bowmanpj
Community Novice

Last year when we were forced into virtual, my colleagues and I tried to simplify things as much as possible.  That meant that some quizzes and exercises defaulted to multiple choice or other automatically graded options.  As we readjust things this year, we've tried to return to fill-in-the-blank, short answer, and short essay.  What we have discovered is that this turns grading into a tedious, time consuming effort.  

In the name of efficiency, a teacher's grading sheet/spreadsheet would be a fantastic tool to have.  If I give a quiz and give a short answer question, instead of having to page through 100 different student quizzes, find the question, evaluate it, and then score it, I would love to see a page with just answers to that question.  A checkmark/sliding point scale option could be at the end of the line (see image below).  If needed, the student name can be next to their answer.  Even if the size of the page limits the responses (ex: 25 per page) the teacher is evaluating, it beats having to go through every quiz.

bowmanpj
Community Novice

Ooops, sorry...It wouldn't let me upload the image. It would be just like the one on short answer quizes now...

Gradebox.JPG

LizGilbert
Community Member

We switched from Moodle to Canvas in fall 2020. This is probably the feature I miss most from Moodle - that it wasn't even reliant on question number, so I should shuffle questions, and use questions banks with random questions and be able to answer every submission for the question "Explain ...", regardless of how it was numbered on students' individual versions of the quiz. I could set the settings to load the kids' submissions at random, or by time submission or by name or ID#, and I could grade 1 at a time, some number at a time, load just "ungraded" or load all. Instead of a grade, the quiz showed as "Needs to be graded".  The time spent clicking from one student to the next and keeping track of multiple essay questions at once is a major time suck.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.