Complete/Incomplete Assignments Need a Late Policy

(5)

I want to use the complete or incomplete grading function (because some assignments are more about completion), but I want to deduct a small amount of points off for those that are late. As it is now, the "late policy" does not apply to any assignment using the "complete/incomplete" function.

Update: I don't really need this anymore since my late policy has changed, but others seem to be interested in it.

12 Comments
Megumi
Community Member

I totally agree with this. Please Canvas... help us out! It isn't fair that in this type of activity, it is basically the same as posting it by the end of the grading period that on time! Especially when this activity is part of a group. 

jigle048
Community Member

Students who meet the criteria for an incomplete have or are enduring hardship. Moreover, they have not meet your criteria to qualify for an incomplete, but Federal and your institution's criteria to when a student might request an incomplete. Rather than punishing students for having a setback, be an instrument to advance your students and not a barrier. Your suggestions are bypassing institutional policies and are out of the scope your domain. I would advice to make an appointment with the President of your institution, and share your concerns. I assure you you will learn a valuable lesson about Federal Student Financial Aid and more. 

You might have discretion to have an opinion, but your suggestion if creating artificial barriers for students and further punishing for having a set back, is incomprehensible.  Most students are paying tuition with Federal Financial Aid, a deduction of points for lateness can cause the student not to pass the course. That alone can cause delays in a graduation, affect retention and graduation rates of your institution, and much greater negative impact in the life of a student. 

There is more to teach a student about your field of study than punishing students and deducting points from a student already suffering a hardship. 

Megumi
Community Member

It is easier to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis, for whenever students report issues with the submission (such as in cases like you mentioned), just as with regular late submissions. 

jigle048
Community Member

One should focus on what they learned, not about points on a late submission. 

BE AN ENABLER TO PROGRESS....

jigle048
Community Member

Students who meet the criteria for an incomplete have or are enduring hardship. Moreover, they have not meet your criteria to qualify for an incomplete, but Federal and your institution's criteria to when a student might request an incomplete. Rather than punishing students for having a setback, be an instrument to advance your students and not a barrier. Your suggestions are bypassing institutional policies and are out of the scope your domain. I would advice to make an appointment with the President of your institution, and share your concerns. I assure you you will learn a valuable lesson about Federal Student Financial Aid and more. 

You might have discretion to have an opinion, but your suggestion if creating artificial barriers for students and further punishing for having a set back, is incomprehensible.  Most students are paying tuition with Federal Financial Aid, a deduction of points for lateness can cause the student not to pass the course. That alone can cause delays in a graduation, affect retention and graduation rates of your institution, and much greater negative impact in the life of a student. 

There is more to teach a student about your field of study than punishing students and deducting points from a student already suffering a hardship. 

tmckamey
Community Explorer

There are some comments on this thread that are making HUGE assumptions about the grading policy of others. 

The purpose here is not to debate teaching decisions that teacher's make, but to discuss the technical feature that would enable teachers to make those decisions and have control over their class policies as they should. 

I agree 100% with the original feature request. Complete/Incomplete assignment option should not be so dichotomous.  Teacher should be able to override, or allow the automatic late policy to apply if that's what the teacher thinks is best. 

malenamalena
Community Member

I would also like to use Complete/Incomplete WITH a late penalty option.  It doesn't make sense that this is not available, as in the 'real life' class experience, students can submit something that is Complete and also late.  PLEASE add this option!

malenamalena
Community Member

Please allow faculty to use Complete/Incomplete WITH a late penalty option.  It doesn't make sense that this is not available, as in the 'real life' class experience, students can submit something that is Complete and also late.  

Steven_S
Community Champion

@jigle048  Complete/incomplete grading is not about any student who has been issued an extension by the teacher, or indeed even by the institution or federal guidelines.  It is also not related to an incomplete grade for the course at the end of the semester.  Complete/incomplete grading is a grading style whereby every completed submission receives all of the points.  When grading an assignment in the complete/incomplete grading style, teachers select "complete" or "incomplete" from the drop down list as the grade.  Points are assigned in the form of all or nothing in response to what the teacher selects.  Teachers do not have an obvious route to partial credit for assignments set to complete/incomplete style grading, which is what the late policy usually provides. 

Under late policies students who miss a due date without an excuse are still able to submit, but with a reduced score based on how late the submission is.  In cases with excuses, the gradebook allows the instructor to remove the late indicator and penalty.  In cases with advanced permission, the instructor can pre-program the adjusted due date specific to the excused student, and then the late policy can apply after the adjusted due date.

This idea requests the use of late penalties for complete/incomplete style grading, which would generate partial credit for late submissions.  Currently, the gradebook shows teachers which complete/incomplete assignments were late, if they have accepted late submissions at all.  However, it does not allow a partial credit option.  Instead of locking the assignment, or marking all unexcused late submissions as incomplete, teachers would like the opportunity to give students partial credit through the late policy.  Allowing that partial credit would bring the all-or-nothing complete/incomplete assignments in line with the grading policies of the rest of the assignments.  As a matter of consistency, this just makes sense.

For now, the only work-around I can suggest is to make the assignment points-based, instead of complete/incomplete, and then attach a simple rubric: complete=100% and incomplete=0%.  The late policy will work normally with that style of grading, and if you grade in the speedgrader, it is not terribly more time consuming to click the rubric instead of the drop down list.

cclaussen
Community Member

Thanks for the rubric idea Steven_S!

KealyDuke
Community Member

Agreed

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.