Completely Anonymous Grading, Persistently Blind Grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We would like to have the ability to have graders use Speedgrader and the grade book without seeing who the students are. The  teacher of record would be able to see this but we would like the ability to be flexible in either allowing graders to see student names or not.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

42 Comments
healyeb
Community Explorer

great!

thank you!

helen

Helen Healy, Manager of Learning Technologies

Instructional Design and eTeaching Services

The Center for Teaching Excellence

250V O'Neill.

2-1998

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:25 PM, scottd@instructure.com <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. May 4, 2016 - Wed. August 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

tita
Community Participant

Hi Helen, I'm trying to determine if this idea is essentially the same as one I just submitted. In Dec 2015, Canvas released a Canvas Studio: Anonymous Grading feature option that can be turned on in a subaccount or even in a course by an account admin that prevents an instructor from toggling hide names on and off in speedgrader--it's simply hidden. However, since grades are then sent to the Gradebook, and since these same assignments are gradeable there, next to the name of the student, the feature is still not usable.

Would you mind taking a look at my " style="color: #2989c5; text-decoration: underline;? Once all grades are entered, an account admin could turn the Anonymous Grading feature off for a course and the instructor could then see names again.

If you think these are essentially the same ideas, maybe you can say so and I'll endorse this one. If not, can you go into more detail?

healyeb
Community Explorer

Hello

I believe that they are the same. The fact that you can toggle all name

associations off or on is great. My request is for no identifiers (names

etc) to show up in the gradebook, a download or speedgrader so that a

grader could never tie a grade they gave to a particular student.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks

helen

250V O'Neill.

2-1998

tita
Community Participant

great, I just voted this up! If you get a chance, please vote this one up--the file name of student uploads that are submitted, even when the Anonymous Grading feature is turned on, are still tagged with the student's name.

healyeb
Community Explorer

sorry for the delay.

I just voted this up.

Good luck!

helen

250V O'Neill.

2-1998

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Ellen,

Thanks for putting forth this request.

I think this would address our law school's need for blind grading functionality.

Hopefully we can get this feature implemented and give our law school faculty the benefit of using Canvas.

healyeb
Community Explorer

Hi,

it would help our Law faculty also. Fingers crossed that we get 100 votes!

helen

250V O'Neill.

2-1998

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM, burgessd@umich.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

jolaine
Community Novice

We have instructors who want to use undergraduate TAs.  By law, they cannot see grades associated with a student.  If there was a setting where the instructor could restrict a TA (sort of like limiting to section) from seeing any student names, that would allow for completely anonymous grading by the TA without limiting the instructor's ability to view the student names and grades. 

garth
Community Champion

Could this be done with a permission?

In other words, could admins create a new "anonymous grader" role, where the ability to view student names is disabled?

Regarding accreditation, where you want unbiased data, this might make things easy:  create an "anonymous grader" role and assign accreditation staff to that role so they can gather data on any course of interest, including learning mastery scores.

This would also address your TA scenario.

Just a thought.