[Courses] Comprehensive Course Search Tool (Searching Course Content for a Topic)

I always find it useful to search for content using an index or an actual search tool rather than just scrolling through all of the pages one by one to find what I need.  I can see many uses for this:
  1. As a student, I know that a particular topic was covered but I'm not sure where.  I can search the course for the keyword and the page hits will come up.
  2. As an instructor, I want to know where else these students have seen a particular concept.  I can search a bunch of courses for a keyword and the courses and page hits will come up.
  3. As a student, as I am trying to integrate information from multiple lectures within a course or within multiple courses, it would be useful to see where a particular concept has been covered.

Tracey

Added to Theme

Add or improve search functionality Theme Status: Identified

206 Comments
Maeve_McCooey
Community Coach
Community Coach

Search function is a no brainer - I use all this all the time as student of an institution that has moodle to deliver online content. 

akryzh
Community Member

It would be great to enable a search function in Pages similar to the search available in Announcements and/or Assignments.

ClintonSanders
Community Novice

You should make a button on canvas that lets you search for somthing

stevetuxford
Community Member

Any update on this? This would make navigation substantially easier.

MGoehring
Community Member

Please create a tool by which we can search the contents of a Canvas course (assignments, modules, pages, files, etc) for keywords. I am a Designer/Instructor and for one course stopped using a textbook this year but as yet have not been able to find all the places I referred to it in lectures, assignments, quizzes, etc. Even having the ability to search for specific words within Assignments, Quizzes, Pages, etc. would be really helpful. As we teach larger, more complex asynchronous courses having a more word-search tools would be really helpful.

ErinWebster
Community Member

Excellent idea!  The time commitment to re-doing tasks because we simply cannot find earlier configurations is so frustrating!

bdobbs1
Community Member

Please add a search/filter option for the dashboard and All Courses page so we can quickly find a course among dozens (faculty) and even hundreds (designers).

ralves1
Community Member

Searching is such a basic function these days. We're all very used to it and in a way expect it. I see it was proposed over six years ago. Any development on that? 

shsmith2
Community Novice

As a teacher, a comprehensive search bar would be helpful. There are already search bars in assignments and when adding links, files, or images to a page or assignment; however, when you go to Pages/All Pages, I am still scrolling through all my pages alphabetically to find the one I want to edit. The same thing occurs in modules. Having a search bar at the top of all menu items would be helpful!

Mahynara
Community Novice

A lupa seria para a gente fazer buscas rápidas. Por exemplo, eu estou procurando CANVAS- Curadoria. O que é isso e onde está. Não sei! Se tivesse uma lupa, com certeza já teria me direcionado. 

Obrigada pela atenção!