[Courses] Comprehensive Course Search Tool (Searching Course Content for a Topic)

I always find it useful to search for content using an index or an actual search tool rather than just scrolling through all of the pages one by one to find what I need.  I can see many uses for this:
  1. As a student, I know that a particular topic was covered but I'm not sure where.  I can search the course for the keyword and the page hits will come up.
  2. As an instructor, I want to know where else these students have seen a particular concept.  I can search a bunch of courses for a keyword and the courses and page hits will come up.
  3. As a student, as I am trying to integrate information from multiple lectures within a course or within multiple courses, it would be useful to see where a particular concept has been covered.

Tracey

Added to Theme

Add or improve search functionality Theme Status: Identified

206 Comments
joe_elliott01
Community Explorer

I agree a comprehensive search function would be very helpful and I have had students ask for it. 

It would also help with accessibility as students with additional needs cannot always remember where to look for information.

rodney_bowder
Community Participant

Yes, have had many requests for this type of functionality for both students and faculty. 

LeeGathercole
Community Novice

Simply...Yep

KerryRobinson
Community Novice

Yes please! A search function would be very beneficial.

dbruns
Community Explorer

I have had teachers ask about this functionality as well. Students use this feature in Google; I think they would find it helpful in their Canvas courses. too!

KELLIGUYOT
Community Novice

Please add the search tool option. This is where Google Drive/Classroom has an edge. It would definitely help out students when searching for something within a course. 

ClubPilates
Community Explorer

The ability for students to search through a Course to find something.

sgarcia1
Community Participant

I'm shocked that this has been a request since 2015!! Our students are asking for this in every single feedback they provide. They need to search and filter the classes and materials, by teacher, by tag, by keyword... it is such a basic feature and would improve greatly the general UX. Please let's get it done! 😀

clott1
Community Member

I find it hard to understand how this isn't baked into Canvas in 2022...it seems like basic functionality: create a tool for searching within a course. This is a routine request from instructors here at UW.

ewest
Community Contributor

This would be a really great feature that would significantly help students and instructors. We have instructors asking about this somewhat regularly. Tools like Panopto have a search feature similar to what is described in this idea, where content becomes so easy to locate within recordings hosted in that platform. I'd love to see this on the road map.