Confetti for External Tools Assignments: Let's celebrate all on time assignments!

(15)

Let's celebrate all on time assignment submissions!

Recently canvas added a confetti option to celebrate on time assignment submissions.  With our ongoing reliance on distance learning students are becoming less motivated to get work done.  Sometimes small things increase engagement (have you ever seen a student with no internet get excited for the dinosaur game?!).  It seems small, but some kids might find motivation in that small party on their screen.  I heard about this new upgrade, but was surprised that none of my students commented on it.  Turns out, since I use external tools (google cloud assignments, quizzes 2, edpuzzle, NewsEla, etc), none of my assignments trigger the party on their screen.  During a help session I was told this only happens for assignments submitted directly into canvas or file uploads.  Let's not treat external tools as second class assignments!  Let celebrate all on time submissions!  Anything to increase engagement as we approach the end of the school year!

9 Comments
H00siersIU
Community Member

I agree!  I use the Office 365 integration and don't understand why they can't see confetti when the students hit the "submit" button. This button is what makes the assignment "turned in". That also should be enough to allow the javascript app to run in Canvas. Since the code already exists, it would just need to be added to another button. 

AmyKauffman
Community Member

Even the Canvas Quizzes count as external tools so that means no confetti for those either!

BrandyK
Community Member

Yes, please! I'm a law student in a class full of non-traditional law students (read: full-blown adults) and we LOVE the confetti we get for turning in work! We were all so deflated to NOT get the confetti for quizzes, which is the platform our professors use for both quizzes and midterm/final exams. 

I recently ran for and was selected as our section's rep for the Student Bar Association. The thing I'm asked to address more than anything else is the "Confetti Issue." Please help me make good on my campaign promise!

Brandy

amanda_william2
Community Member

@BrandyK 

I don’t know who gave this one star, but this awesome!

Student moral increases with every piece of confetti! Also with every mini moon or panda floating in this mix!

ztm
Community Member

We would LOVE this feature. Confetti is extremely motivating, and would be the perfect conclusion to midterms, quizzes, etc. thank you!

Gretchenstankew
Community Novice

Distance learners especially need confetti! Not only is it good for morale, I feel more confident that my assignment is actually submitted. 

HannaDawson
Community Member

Yes! My student's love the confetti feature & it would be very useful for quizzes.

kimberly_ellis
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I think confetti is a much bigger deal than people realize. My daughter texted me just this week asking why her quiz didn't show confetti like her assignments (which made me go searching the community and land upon this feature request). She's 21 years old and was seriously upset by it! 😆 Students young and old feel accomplished when that confetti floats across their screen! 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.