Configure Image Files in Speedgrader to Fit the Window

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we make it so that in Canvas’ Speed Grader, submitted image files appear as “fit to window” instead of 1:1 pixel resolution?  It might be a simple adjustment to the webpage code, but it would allow student submissions in my Photography classes to actually be viewed in Canvas.  Right now when I view submissions in Speed Grader, I only see the top left corner of each picture because the image is larger than the viewing window.  It would be speedier to see a thumbnail of each file…

Let me know if that’s an option.

Thank you!

Kirk

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

32 Comments
kls505
Community Novice

I currently have to make a very big point to students about using sizing controls when they add images. It would be great to be able to have that automatically handled by Canvas. I vote YES!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! I've experimented with a few work-arounds, and I wanted to share! I had my students install a scan-to-PDF app on their iPads. They are able to "scan" images and submit their work as PDFs. I like this because (1) it's easier to get the image to fit the screen without changing the size of the rubric, and (2) I can annotate on the image itself using the Crocodoc Tools.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Was trying to track this down. We are a 1-1 iPad K12 school with students very used to moving images from one place to another. We have some amazing teacher pioneers in our school willing to try out new things and one being the peer evaluation feature.

Desperately need to have a solution to this with images and not to be asking students to do "work arounds" as mentioned above. Whether things will change with introduction of Office365 and other features but it is a real frustration - that and the inability to annotate on iPads....

blettiere
Community Participant

This says it is under consideration.  I hope it is possible to have teachers resize the photo.  And I hope that some day soon, that a teacher will be able to add comments to the image, as we are able to do with PDFs and Word.  We have a robust photography program and graphics art at our high school.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi blettiere​,

Like you, I'd love to simplify the process for my photography students. I've had luck cropping images to 5x7" with a resolution of 150dpi. This year, I changed up my instructions so students work in .jpg while in class and then save as a .pdf for Canvas submission. That way, I can use SpeedGrader to annotate right on the image itself...in addition to feedback left in a comment or on a rubric.

kamyx
Community Novice

I also teach photography and being able to have the image fit to screen automatically as a default would be a HUGE benefit.  All our instructors complain about this issue and hinder the ability to review images directly in Canvas.

straughans
Community Novice

This would be such a time saver. Ms. Wruck, I see your march 2016 update. Has there been any progress or new information on this over the past 6 months?

straughans
Community Novice

Good job finding a work-around that was effective for you. It will be nice when a simple zoom and rotate tool is available.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

swinter
Community Champion

Thanks for this. I built a new suggestion today because your idea did not come up in the search results. We need this too since we have students upload photos, taken with their phones, for assignments. You cannot change the resolution on a phone, so we need Canvas to take care of that with the software in the same manner that they use for adapting profile pictures to the correct template size. They already have the code, they just need to apply it to other aspects of the site.