Copy a Module Structure

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

A good instructional design practice is to have a predictable module structure for students to follow throughout a course. This means repeating a similar flow of pages and assignments over multiple sections of a course.

Currently copying requires creating a new module and items for each section, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” option when editing a Module, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a course structure.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14759 .

40 Comments
kona
Community Champion

Thanks for the update! I'll take it as good news that you're looking at the best way to copy content in Canvas! This is a big need and will make a lot of people really happy!

quz2
Community Participant

I hope your major project is something like this, or better Smiley Happy

A table of content-like table that asks me to fill in:

1. the names of all the module in the course (i.e. I can copy and paste all 16 at once);

2. the names of the content pages, with the choice of deciding level of indentations (i.e. I can copy and paste in 8 module summary pages at once);

And with a button "create course structure," I have a shell of the course.

This would save numerous clicks on each item that needs to be duplicated.

wwashington
Community Novice
"A simple, "Copy this Module" would save a lot of time."

And let ALL the people sing it...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaMEN!

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm unclear what would happen when you copy a module structure. Does that mean if I copy module 1, then I would have a second module that links to the same content as was in Module 1? Another option would be that the copy process would automatically make a copy of every item in the module (likely named "Copy of Assignment 1" or "Copy of Quiz 4") and then create a new module with links to the new content. Yet another option would be to have the system look at the contents and then create empty shells of the same types of content that are linked in the new module. I guess I need to know what part of the course creation process is this feature trying to make easier.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Option Two is the one I hear people asking about/for most often.  They want to put together a template of a module with, for example, a page for this week's readings, a 'what to expect in class this week' page, a lab assignments page, and a quiz that will have the same three questions each week.  They they want to make, say, nine copies of their template module and go through and just have to tweak a little text on each page or add a few additional questions in each quiz, say.

carrie
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user​  @scottdennis ​

When I was teaching with Canvas at Salem State University, I set up a Module with each of the following settings/headers. It would have saved time if the Module structure could have been copied. (Copy Module, Copy Module Settings, Include Content (Text Headers)).

[Module] (Unlock) (Month) (Date) (8:00) (pm)

[Teat Header] Required Readings

[Text Header] Required Activities

[Text Header] Additional Resources

For creating a series of Modules, it would have been great to be able to have Canvas to "Copy this Module (13) times with Unlock Dates each (Sunday) and (8:00) (pm)". The result would be a total of 14 modules, each unlocking at 8pm on Sundays, with the same text headers. Then I could go in and add content items in each Module under the appropriate Text Heading.

Having a Module copy Module Content would have been MORE WORK to delete the content. I just wanted the headers and settings.

Hope this use case sheds a little more light on this user request.

Your pal, Carrie

wwashington
Community Novice

Let's hope that someone reads and implements a feature as Jeff has described in this post.  We are about to roll out Canvas districtwide; a copy module function would make life easy for those of us in charge of facilitating migration and implementation on a systemic level.

kmatson
Community Explorer

YES we need to be able to copy a module structure, an assignment, a quiz, or discussion board.

Good instructional design says our modules should be as consistent as we can make them so students can follow the pattern and not waste time navigating. We have been "tricking" Canvas by copying modules into the same course via the import tool since they don't have a copy tool. Well this worked for awhile but then it dies and causes naming problems and things disappear. I can see how that happens; so we need a copy button.

The Canvas community clearly sees the need and voted this idea up before but it isn't a feature yet that I can find. I will put it back out there to vote it up again unless someone shows me where it is active to vote on. I can only find these archived instances.

Best regards,

Karen

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @kmatson ​,

Yes, agreed; this idea has received a lot of attention from community members.  Our product team is currently considering and researching feasibility.  There is no need to conduct another vote as this has clearly been identified as a priority for many users.  Please follow this thread and check back if you would like to see updates.

Thanks,

SD

kmatson
Community Explorer

Scott,

Do we need to differentiate copying a module from individual items like assignments, quizzes, discussion boards? I am sure we would all like the copy on a global module level but also on an individual assignment, quiz, discussion board level as well.

Thanks so much, this will help faculty in course creation time and best practice for their students.

Best regards,

Karen