Copy a Module Structure

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

A good instructional design practice is to have a predictable module structure for students to follow throughout a course. This means repeating a similar flow of pages and assignments over multiple sections of a course.

Currently copying requires creating a new module and items for each section, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” option when editing a Module, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a course structure.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14759 .

40 Comments
sberry7
Community Novice

I cannot fathom why this feature isn't available. It's one of the most common LMS use cases in existence!!!

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

It would be nice to have the ability to copy the structure of a module and then just link what you need. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-06-11) .

jthoms
Community Novice

Woot! :smileygrin:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jthoms  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @Jeff_F  Thank You , wwashington Thank You ,  @jacqueline_chu2  Thank You , jenniferpassman Thank You ,  @epokryfki  Thank You , u0438341 Thank You , abaine Thank You ,  @kona  Thank You ,  @quz2  Thank You ,  @kmatson  Thank You ,  @kmeeusen  Thank You ,  @Nancy_Webb_CCSF  Thank You , mary.primm Thank You , cdproflaura Thank You ,  @chasedimarco  Thank You , cboyle576 Thank You , sberry Thank You , &  @jrboek  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-23) .

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Omigoodness, yes, THANK YOU! The inability to duplicate a module was probably the biggest omission in Canvas' original design. I bemoaned the lack of this feature when colleagues at my former university, on a different LMS, would ask me about Canvas; they would respond with puzzled, dismayed faces. Now I can happily tell them otherwise.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed