Copy to multiple courses

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I create all of my content in my "sandbox".  I teach 5 classes that are all the same.  I would like the ability to copy from my sandbox to all of my courses at one time instead of going to each course to copy the material.

Comments from Instructure...

May 2016 Update

From Margaret Fuller, Commons Product Manager

I'm excited to announce as of last week, we’ve updated the functionality in Commons to allow users to import content into multiple courses at once.

Here is how it's done:

• Share the course you want to copy to Commons (publicly, institutionally, or privately)
  • You should be able to select any/all of the courses by check-marking the course(s) to which you want to import.
  • On the resource detail page, Click "Import into Course"

More details in this guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2005

This was a request from the community. Your feedback is essential to our product's continued improvement. Thank you so much to all of you!

Preview of User Interface:

184846_Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 3.47.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 3.47.36 PM.png

13 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @scott_mccormick ​. Thank you for your submission.

Does your school have Commons enabled? If so, you will soon be able to exactly this using the Commons API (read more about that here: Canvas Commons: Like an Ice Cream Social for Learning Resources​) - hooray!

For now, because this functionality is in the works, this idea will be archived.

Smiley Happy

scott_mccormick
Community Novice

I am not sure if we have Commons enabled or not.  I will check with our technical department.

dboxer
Community Member

@biray  ,

You cannot copy course content into to multiple courses at the same time, even from the Commons.  Like  @scott_mccormick  - this would be a very helpful feature.

kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @scott_mccormick ​,

We don't have dates yet for the API but that will be one option for importing Commons resources into multiple courses, as well as, we will be working on a feature to deliver multi-course import via the Commons interface in the future. Thanks for sharing your use cases with us regarding Commons, it's always helpful as we are seeing where/how the product should grow.

Best,

Kate McGee

Commons Product Manager

joseph_allen
Community Champion

How about just a straight up copy.  Let's get Commons out of the equation.  Just copy a course, a page, an assignment to another.  This would be most helpful.

pcraig
Community Novice

I agree with Joe Allen, this would be very welcome in the Copy Course function in addition to Commons since not all institutions will be utilizing Commons.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Quick Demo: 5 Ways to Course Copy, which is coming up this Thursday, November 3, 2016. RSVP "Yes" if you plan to attend--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "No" or "Maybe" to receive any post-event updates.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Check out Canvas Release: Blueprint Courses in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-06-12).  There are solutions in this new feature that apply to this feature idea!

saltman
Community Participant

I got this to work!  It's not a super easy solution, but it worked!  Thanks!

sbzakin
Community Novice

Canvas still can’t easily move files from one course to another. Just as you can right click on the 3 dots to ‘move’ a file’s location within a course, you should be able to right click to ‘add’ a file to different course, without having to go through all the effort of either downloading, exporting, importing, or even the supposedly fast feature of importing individual files. Even the latter takes multiple steps. A quick, simple way to add a file from one course to another should be possible.