Copying Saved Discussion Comments to a Template Canvas Course

0 Likes

Template Canvas courses are copied into semester Canvas courses. These template Canvas courses usually contain discussions that are also copied into the semester Canvas courses. It would be very efficient and productive if comments saved in a semester Canvas course could be copied into the corresponding template Canvas course file. This way the next semester when the template Canvas course is copied into the semester Canvas course the discussions and their saved comments are both copied as well. Consequently a collection of saved discussion comments do not have to be started from scratch each semester.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @VHDL2STA . We are interpreting "collection of saved discussion comments" as a reference to the Comment Library. Is that accurate?

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for reviewing this feature enhancement request.

I submitted this feature enhancement based on my intuition of what is right and what is wrong before exploring the true Canvas behavior regarding the saving of discussion comments. Turns out my intuition was wrong. Discussions saved in one Canvas course automatically port over to ALL Canvas courses even if the discussion topics are not applicable to the course that these saved comments are now part of. So I would like to retract this feature enhancement request to copy semester discussion comments into the template courses from which the semester courses were copied from. This is already being done. Great, but as I wrote above discussion comments are in general not applicable from one course to the other and consequently should only be saved in the course that they were saved in with the Canvas user having the option to copy these saved discussion comments into another section of the course or into the template course to be copied into next semester courses.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived