Course Access Restrictions By Sections

0 Likes

Currently, a student's access to the course material is based on the course end date or the term end date. We don't have set quarters/semesters but rather our students have access for a year, we set them up into their sections and the section is set up to provide that year. But once the section ends, they still have access to the Course material is they go to their Completed Courses listing. The only other way to remove the student's access is to specifically delete their enrollment or deactivate it "manually."

Please add the ability in the Course Settings that the student does not have access to the course based on their section end date as well. (The current choices are only Course End Date or Term End Date.)

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

culleng
Community Explorer

You can restrict students from viewing courses after the term end date by selecting that option in course site settings. It removes it from their all courses>past enrollments list.

ClubPilates
Community Explorer

@culleng As mentioned, we don't use Canvas with set semesters or quarters (terms). Our program a 1-year from when you enroll (but extensions are available) and we have programs (sections) that start every week/enrollments daily. We don't close our courses because we are constantly adding sections to the same course because our content isn't time based and we add a few new sections every week. It's kind of hard to explain (our program is hybrid in person and online). To make sure everyone has the most up to date information, we keep the number of courses as low as possible (fewer places to change if an error or update is needed). There is only 1 Teacher over all of this in Canvas and that's me the Canvas administrator and our Subject Matter Experts are TAs in Canvas because they teach using our content. I want the ability to restrict students from viewing the course after the section end date and not the course end date because the course does not and cannot have an end date. 

ClubPilates
Community Explorer

Just FYI: I used to have a separate Canvas Community account when we had more admins but now we only have 1/me so it became an account in our program's name. (Monica => Club Pilates)

culleng
Community Explorer

Hi Monica,

When you create your course site, you can create separate sections. Then you can edit the section's end date. There is a selection that allows you to restrict the participant to just their section. I am not sure if this will work for you but then, when the section end date passes, they shouldn't be able to participate after that. 

Good luck!

Gail

ClubPilates
Community Explorer

Thanks Gail, I am aware of this. We use those sections but when the section end date passes, since the course is still open, they can still see the course material in their Completed Courses in read-only mode. That is the main contention of this point that I want the students to not be able to see the Course after the section end date even if the Course is still open/not ended.

James
Community Champion

Monica ( @ClubPilates ), you can set Canvas to restrict access by section rather than by course.

The interaction between term, course, and section end dates can be confusing, but Canvas has a lesson in their Canvas Instructor Guide that explains how things should work: How do I change the start and end dates for a course section as an instructor?

ClubPilates
Community Explorer

Thanks James, I have already read over everything I could on this and reached out to Canvas support to confirm/clarify the situation. I was recommended to start my post here as the only means to add this as an enhancement request. As far as Canvas is concerned, this is not a problem that they need to fix since it only impacts me and my school.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.