Course Analytics - Reporting

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would like to see more granularity in the report of course analytics such as page views, duration of visits both from desktop and mobile devices.

Response from Instructure
Find more information in Canvas Data
41 Comments
Allison_Ogrady
Community Explorer

Wow very interesting- thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out but would also like Canvas to build some robust in-house analytics that are more accessible.

belbenmy
Community Novice

Google analytics certainly seem way ahead of others -  @r_v_jones ​ is this something we could consider at UoB for our Canvas accounts?

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Hi belbenmy We already are looking at this and Darren and Trevor have been working on gettings quality data from it.

stevenwilliams
Community Participant

Some of the features described here also look like they're part of the discussion going on in the open feature request for Student Activity: Student Time Log​. The core issue that my university would be interested in addressing in both of these feature requests would be giving Instructors a course-level permission to see something like the Page Views that are currently displayed to administrators only.

zimmermans
Community Novice

Similar Example for us (in the same vein):

We have a number of professors who assign viewing of external video links, who often request the ability to track themselves which students have actually viewed those external links...

Even being able to just simply see which students have viewed the page (or clicked on the URL) would be more helpful than posting a resource and hoping its gets used. Professors don't always have time to ask for an administrator to dig up page views for them, or want to go threw the effort of creating quizes to verify an optional external resource was used. But they do want to know which students are taking advantage of such things.

anthonem
Community Contributor

Thanks  @mlewis23 ​ for adding CSV download to this conversation. We've had multiple requests for an end-user CSV download option for course analytics.

I'm wondering if download functionality will get left out if it's only mentioned inside this feature request.  @scottdennis ​ -- do you think CSV download can be included in this request, or should it be considered separately?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @anthonem ​

We'll definitely consider the comments when addressing this feature idea.

Thanks,

SD

mfreund
Community Novice

Deactivated user, you might be interested to know that I just posted that as its own feature idea, to be able to view access stats/details for each assignment/pag... — which students have viewed and interacted on it, and when.

This grew out of my pet peeve of sending out announcements without any way to know if students are viewing them and receiving the info, but it also applies to other resources as you mentioned.

carrie_anderson
Community Novice

Yes, I think that having a way to see which students viewed what, and how long they spent viewing it, would be a good tool, and by what IP given the "buy HW" websites that exist nowadays.  One concern I have though I how much Google is being used for "everything," and it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of concern about privacy.  I know that I don't like to be tracked, but I also know that sometimes tracking is very useful.  Even with my concern about privacy, I am going to give this idea a thumbs up because as an instructor there are some things that could use a little more tracking.  As a general comment, just be careful with all this sharing of info.

rubyn
Community Novice

It would be good to also have analytics for the student at the course-level, not just the assignment.  E.g. Student A is in the 95%ile for the class, Student B is in 25%ile, etc.  Would enable us to see which students are in trouble, etc.  Also make this information available via API, DW, etc.  Ditto for student's percentile for the assignment.