cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course Analytics - Reporting

Course Analytics - Reporting

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would like to see more granularity in the report of course analytics such as page views, duration of visits both from desktop and mobile devices.

Response from Instructure
Find more information in Canvas Data
38 Comments
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for taking the time to submit to the feature ideas forum.

I just now updated your idea submission to the queue that will open for vote on May 5th.

Cheers,

Scott

belbenmy
Community Member

Hi,

This is definitely a feature we need to properly analyse some of our most important courses.  Thanks Catherine for submitting for vote.

Marcus

Careers Network

mlewis23
Learner II

One item that I'd like to see is a CSV download of the data that is creating the various charts/graphs within the Analytics pages.

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

I agree on both granularity and content.  We recently discovered that mobile app page views are not logged anywhere in the Canvas reports at the course or account level.  Mobile app interactions are logged (like an assignment submission or discussion post), but not page views.  This is critical for our virtual program as we use our course usage data as an attendance of sorts and many students use mobile devices to access their course content.  This represents a huge gap in the usage data, and we would like to see that included as part of this feature.

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is my number one feature request for mobile. The mobile app is like a black hole when it comes to analytics. I would just be happy at this point knowing how many users even access Canvas from the mobile app at our institution. It's possible that because of how the mobile app gets data, compared to the web, that this might ultimately be a separate feature request. We'll see. (:

Allison_Ogrady
Surveyor

I agree with this- thank you for submitting this ticket! We also found out that mobile apps have caused issues with us trying to track students who have not logged into Canvas in the first week of class. It would also be nice to have one page that give a comprehensive overview of the class and who has viewed the content in the class (whether this is accessed by module or some other area). we used to have a comprehensive bar chart in eCollege and we could take a look and quickly see how much time the students were logging in each module. The faculty request this feature all of the time. More data would be better to understand student patterns. Thanks!

clong
Learner II

We just started using Google Analytics in our instance, which is a full blown tool for tracking and reporting the information that is being discussed above. I'm no Google Analytics expert but so far it seems to be providing us some great metrics.

As  @mlattke  mentioned, I doubt this is capturing the mobile apps because this relies on code in our Global JS, which I believe is incompatible with mobile apps.

Here's a shot of my current dashboard page (click on it to enlarge).

43999_pastedImage_0.png

belbenmy
Community Member

If you use Google analytics that won't be giving you the same student-by-student breakdown that Canvas could.  Also if relies on your Canvas JS, how accessible is it to teachers?

clong
Learner II

Hi Marcus,

Any of the dashboards set up in Google Analytics can be shared or you can even use the Google Analytics APIs to design custom web pages and applications using powerful data visualization tools such as D3.js​. Teachers need not know Java Script to access, view and leverage this information. The Canvas ENV also includes variables such as role (teacher, student, etc.) and you can make dashboard widgets for a particular course or teacher or student. The possibilities are endless.

Here's a widget just for one course

44198_pastedImage_1.png

SHEBENE
Surveyor

I didn't know that. That's a big one for us as well since we'll be adding more 1-to-1 programs. Thanks for the heads up!

Allison_Ogrady
Surveyor

Wow very interesting- thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out but would also like Canvas to build some robust in-house analytics that are more accessible.

belbenmy
Community Member

Google analytics certainly seem way ahead of others -  @r_v_jones ​ is this something we could consider at UoB for our Canvas accounts?

r_v_jones
Explorer III

Hi belbenmy We already are looking at this and Darren and Trevor have been working on gettings quality data from it.

stevenwilliams
Learner II

Some of the features described here also look like they're part of the discussion going on in the open feature request for Student Activity: Student Time Log​. The core issue that my university would be interested in addressing in both of these feature requests would be giving Instructors a course-level permission to see something like the Page Views that are currently displayed to administrators only.

zimmermans
Community Member

Similar Example for us (in the same vein):

We have a number of professors who assign viewing of external video links, who often request the ability to track themselves which students have actually viewed those external links...

Even being able to just simply see which students have viewed the page (or clicked on the URL) would be more helpful than posting a resource and hoping its gets used. Professors don't always have time to ask for an administrator to dig up page views for them, or want to go threw the effort of creating quizes to verify an optional external resource was used. But they do want to know which students are taking advantage of such things.

anthonem
Surveyor

Thanks  @mlewis23 ​ for adding CSV download to this conversation. We've had multiple requests for an end-user CSV download option for course analytics.

I'm wondering if download functionality will get left out if it's only mentioned inside this feature request.  @scottdennis ​ -- do you think CSV download can be included in this request, or should it be considered separately?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @anthonem ​

We'll definitely consider the comments when addressing this feature idea.

Thanks,

SD

mfreund
Community Member

Deactivated user, you might be interested to know that I just posted that as its own feature idea, to be able to view access stats/details for each assignment/pag... — which students have viewed and interacted on it, and when.

This grew out of my pet peeve of sending out announcements without any way to know if students are viewing them and receiving the info, but it also applies to other resources as you mentioned.

carrie_anderson
Community Member

Yes, I think that having a way to see which students viewed what, and how long they spent viewing it, would be a good tool, and by what IP given the "buy HW" websites that exist nowadays.  One concern I have though I how much Google is being used for "everything," and it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of concern about privacy.  I know that I don't like to be tracked, but I also know that sometimes tracking is very useful.  Even with my concern about privacy, I am going to give this idea a thumbs up because as an instructor there are some things that could use a little more tracking.  As a general comment, just be careful with all this sharing of info.

rubyn
Community Member

It would be good to also have analytics for the student at the course-level, not just the assignment.  E.g. Student A is in the 95%ile for the class, Student B is in 25%ile, etc.  Would enable us to see which students are in trouble, etc.  Also make this information available via API, DW, etc.  Ditto for student's percentile for the assignment.