Course Analytics - Reporting

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would like to see more granularity in the report of course analytics such as page views, duration of visits both from desktop and mobile devices.

Response from Instructure
Find more information in Canvas Data
41 Comments
kona
Community Champion

I think it is considered "In Development" because of Canvas Data. Smiley Wink

mlewis23
Community Champion

I think the mobile data needs to be integrated into the data displayed for 'Page Views' (seen on the 'User Account Details' page) or in the individual 'Access Report'.  It is also unclear if the 'views' data on the analytic pages includes the mobile access.

It is my current understanding that no mobile data is being displayed on screen.  While I've been told that mobile is now in the Canvas Data's Request table, I think the intent was to integrate it into the pages mentioned above (User Account Details, Access Report, Course Analytics). Otherwise all those pages are a little misleading.

ccalderon
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ​ - thanks for getting back to me! I checked with  @mlewis23 ​ in our area, and it sounds like this might cover the initial request, but at this point it's a little too early to tell. We have a team here working on getting Canvas Data loaded in a usable way so that we can run reports against it, and we will know better when that effort is complete. I happened upon this thread in the first place because we have more and more students using their mobile devices to access Canvas and participate in their classes. Because we do not currently have a way to track that activity, we sometimes don't have answers when questions come in. Hopefully when we are able to fully utilize Canvas Data, this issue will be solved!

I guess that's a long way to answer your question with "I don't know"... Smiley Wink

Thank you!

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi all,

Thanks for reviving this thread. Here's an update for you: as the product stands today, we think Canvas Data will help with getting access to the underlying data needed for reporting. We acknowledge that understanding mobile usage is cumbersome in the current implementation, and that is something we're working on addressing. Additionally, we are working on more  pre-built reporting for administrators and teachers inside of Canvas.

As always, thanks for your impatience and your input! Great things to come!

Chris

kona
Community Champion

Additionally, we are working on more pre-built reporting for administrators and teachers inside of Canvas.

Yay!!! Yay!!!! Yay!!!!! Thank you!!!

RobDitto
Community Champion

We acknowledge that understanding mobile usage is cumbersome in the current implementation, and that is something we're working on addressing.

And three cheers for this too!  I hope the fix for cumbersomeness will also fix missing data about mobile usage.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This is exciting! (I second what Kona and Rob said!) Thank you for the update!!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Using Canvas Data with Canvas Mobile Apps which is coming up this Tuesday, November 1, 2016. RSVP "yes" if you can attend. If you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" so you can receive any post-event updates.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme