Course Analytics - filter out students who have dropped the course

I do not see a way to remove "concluded" students (students who dropped the course after initial enrollment) to be filtered from the display of Course Analytics. This is really distracting when you are trying to figure out what percentage of students are keeping up with the prescribed pace of the course and how many are falling behind, because the dropped students add to the red bars for missing assignments.
12 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @kls505 ​,

Thank you for taking the time to come suggest this feature idea.  I have just added it to the queue for the next round of voting, which will begin Feb 3rd.

Thanks,

Scott

kls505
Community Novice

Add the same comment to the Student Interactions Report.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

millerjm
Community Champion

We NEED to be able to access concluded and inactive students in order to determine last date of attendance due to federal financial aid reporting.   @kls505 ​, I would support this idea if there were more details related to how this would be implemented in order to not adversely affect those who need the information.  Perhaps a toggle for "show active students only"?

Chris_Munzo
Partner
Partner

Hello,  @kls505 ​ - if this idea doesn't get enough votes, please note that the analytics provided by Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​ do include only students currently enrolled in courses.  Our Dropout Detective solution will analyze data from Canvas every night and let instructors easily see which students are at risk.  If you are interested in learning more, please contact me through our partner page.  Thank you!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I agree  @millerjm ​.

I would prefer that this be an option so that Financial Aid information and data be available for those who need this info.

KLM

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to propose and vote on this idea! I agree this is something that should be part of the built-in analytics in Canvas. However, it is not on the Data roadmap in the near future, but we'll keep an eye on it for reference and future consideration.

That said, you can pull this information using the courses and enrollments tables in Canvas Data (documentation here: Canvas Data Portal).

Chris

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
kathrynbeckerbl
Community Novice

Any ideas for explaining to students that their performance appears inflated because dropped students' zeros are skewing the data?  @soicherr ‌ #OSUGenPsych

soicherr
Community Novice

A toggle is a great idea. Seems simple enough.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.