Course and section names should be displayed on every single page

0 Likes
(1)

I teach several courses and a few sections of the same course. In many pages of Canvas, user does not know what course or section s/he is in. Every time, I have to go to the main Dashboard and choose the course section to make sure I am uploading a file or creating a module in the correct section of the course! 

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @HosseinTavana . Course and section names display at the top of most pages in Canvas. Is it possible that the way the courses are named is making it difficult to distinguish between them?

HosseinTavana
Community Member

Hi Stephanie,

I am asking to show the course and section names on ALL pages. Furthermore, I don't know how one could conclude that this information is displayed on 'most' pages.

I am going to attach some "examples". Hopefully it will demonstrate this shortcoming.

FYI, all sections of a course could have the same name, the same semester name and number. However, a course like ESI5010 can have many sections like RX1, RXW, .....These are all different sections of the same course that are offered to different students, different modes or at different class times.

Lack of course-section display--Example 1.PNG

Lack of course-section display--Example 2.PNG

Lack of course-section display--Example 3.PNG

Lack of course-section display--Example 4.PNG

Lack of course-section display--Example 5.PNG

Lack of course-section display--Example 6.PNG

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @HosseinTavana ,

You might want to get in touch with your school's Canvas administrator(s), as they may be able to adjust the way things are transferred from your school's SIS to Canvas.  At our institution, the course names are completely different and identify the subject, number, section, and semester.  For example:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 12.20.05 PM.png

I think finding a better naming scheme would be better than having Canvas display more info, as screen real estate is precious.

-Chris

HosseinTavana
Community Member

Chris,

Thank you for your response, but this does not seem to be something that my school can change.

Here is an example where Canvas shows the full course name, code and section numbers, actually in two locations. So there is no real estate limitation if Canvas wants to do it.

And with all due respect, this is not the first time that Canvas refers me to the school's Canvas Admin. In the other case, where I reported that students cannot reopen their peer review if for any reason they close it or lose their connection, I was referred to my school admin and they could not do anything for the student. I could not even reassign the "same" peer review to give the student a second chance, because Canvas does not allow that. It does not let a self-assessment either.

Anyway, there is a LONG list of Canvas shortcomings. And many instructors like me, believe these are "flaws" in the design, not features that are "good" to have.

Thank you!

Zane 

Lack of course-section display--Example 7.PNG

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!