[New Quizzes] Create Item Banks from MSWord

It would be useful that when you create a question [item] bank at the account level being able to upload a huge number of questions once by using a word document. Now, the only way to do this is to create them one by one.

61844_2015-06-17_1019.png2015-06-17_1019.png

Rosalie

170 Comments
lcahill
Community Explorer

please, please, please, please, please

david_pahmer
Community Novice

Word, RTF, csv, txt- anything! something! The fact that Canvas has no native quiz import tool would have been a deal-breaker for me if I had seen what it would take to produce quizzes. It was a pleasure in Angel, but the Angel to Canvas export/import tool scrambled the questions in the question bank and it is unacceptably cumbersome to hunt down questions in the tiny window, but even more unacceptably cumbersome to rewrite questions from scratch using the current quiz making feature. This need has been articulated here in the ideas forum for about 15 months or so!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

chemlectures
Community Participant

Quiz questions, assignment dates, calendars ... much this content should be exportable and importable in some text form to allow batch modification or recycling classes for a new semester.  Lack of this functionality makes it hard (almost impossible) to manage many classes in Canvas and hinders adoption of Canvas at larger institutions. 

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks to the wonderful folks at Kansas State University for making their Classic to Canvas (QTI 2.0) Converter tool findable online. It is connected to an interest they have in working with Scantron but it works for regular Canvas quizzes too. I did a quick test for multiple-choice questions and found it easy and efficient, using a Google Sheet to make the .csv file and their tool to convert that file to a QTI-formatted .zip file for easy import to Canvas. And I did it on a Mac! (thanks rwistar for asking the question Mac tools for creating QTI files?)

Deactivated user‌ this is exactly what I described in my Nov. 7, 2015 comment. I don't see the easy-import option mentioned in the document Quizzes LTI Feature Comparison‌ but am hopeful because this idea is on radar.

Radar from MASH

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Many of us have been looking for a way to use "bulk question upload files" so I'm glad this idea is the "Product Radar" stage. Competing LMS products allow this simple process—the data files comply with data delimiter syntax, and the receiving LMS imports plain text files just as if they were QTI-XML files.

I'd use MS Word instead, no problem. See my earlier idea at: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8263 

curtain
Community Participant

But it is also Windows only so that has been a problem for many of our instructors.

ppan
Community Novice

I import quiz questions I write with Word into Etude all the time. Now as our college transfers to Canvas, I find this inability to import from Word a huge obstacle as our college does not have Respondus. Why does Canvas not incorporate this important tool in the system? I hope it does soon. Writing quizzes question by question is extremely time consuming and not a productive way to work. 

lturner2
Community Contributor

Hi cholling,

I do realize that I have stumbled across a VERY old post & poll. I heavily utilized a quiz Parser for WebCT and subsequently Blackboard. I did have the fortune of learning WebCT v2, which had a built in parser. About the time I started to learn how handy it was, we upgraded to v4, which natively did not have a parser. I had my programmer, at the time, literally reverse engineer the xml export for the quizzes and he developed what WebCT ended up using for their 1st patch, including his contribution to the quiz parser. Later, we were able to use our own Quiz Parser program (which had a very simple layout and design) to run our quizzes almost identically to what you showed.

I just had a training with a batch of new faculty where I am consulting, and I repeatedly received a question about the complexity of creating quizzes.

So I guess my question is this: Is there a Quiz Parser to speak of that is compatible with Canvas??

cholling
Community Champion

Good question. In the meantime, we have determined that previewing the quiz then printing it is a somewhat adequate work-around for our paper-pencil tests. And, at least, this gives us the ability to build the quizzes in Canvas.