[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
cohenf
Community Participant

Just adding my 2 cents, as up/down voting is now closed. This is, to me, essential and basic functionality. To create rewarded zero-denominator assignments is, at best, an optimal workaround, but should not be the final stage of development on this. I am impressed with Canvas, our new LMS here, but our old one, inferior for sure, had a clickable "extra credit" option for items within quizzes/assignment or for whole quizzes/assignments. It was just so easy. Extra-credit questions and assignments are common practice. For me, they are a distinct set of incentives for certain types of academic work.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

This needs to be added.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

agormeza
Community Novice

Hello, 

What's the status with this update? It's now December of 2017 and this would be an awesome feature to have...   @Renee_Carney ‌

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@agormeza  

Are you following https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes?sr=search&searchId=b2e11866-287e-4fe7-900e-1175ed40f5...‌ and/or have you requested access to the new beta quizzing tool?  If not, you'll want to do that!

There are no direct updates for this idea thread at this time.  Continue to follow it and you will get a notification when there is something new!

agormeza
Community Novice

Thank you, Renee! I'll be sure to check out the Quizzes LTI User Group.

Relative to bonus points, are developers currently working on this and is

there any release date scheduled or planned?

Best regards,

Aki Gormezano

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM, rcarney@instructure.com <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

As for questions that are distinctly identified as extra credit, this is not currently in dev.  It's not currently in the scope of existing priorities, either, sorry.

@kona ‌ has published some resources in the past that focus on extra credit.  You may find https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5586-creating-an-extra-credit-quiz and the discussions around that document helpful?  She (and others) may have some tips and tricks for you for giving extra credit on a quiz questions?

agormeza
Community Novice

Thanks, Renee.

Best,

Aki

CraigOgden
Community Participant

for those of us who do NOT have the LTI beta, these references to LTI is not helpful.  Does this mean that Canvas will no longer be updating the non-LTI environment? Should we be abandoning the old version of Canvas?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@cogden ‌

You can have access to the new Quizzes LTI by requesting it, or having your local admin request it.  You can find more information in the Quizzes LTI User Group‌.

The new quizzing engine was built from the ground up so that it had fresh and modern code that was more flexible.  The tool is so much more flexible that it can actually be integrated into any platform, not just Canvas.  It will eventually replace the existing quizzing engine.  The existing quizzing engine is in maintenance mode, with bugs being fixed, but no new features are being developed on it.

I hope that helps answer your questions?