[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
paul1
Community Participant

It truly is!

paul1
Community Participant

Couldn't share a more similar sentiment!

paul1
Community Participant

I agree, Peter! Canvas is pretty great in other ways, so this is like owning a Tesla with manual windows.

sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

We still don't have this option? I've got some very stressed faculty. 

remerick
Community Novice

We've only been asking for 5 years, it's not like it's been that long. I'm sure Canvas is doing much more important updates, like adding emojis and such.

paul1
Community Participant

:smileylaugh:

callinger
Community Participant

At the moment, in order for a quiz question to be "bonus" or "extra credit," you have to assign it a point value of zero and then manually grade this question for everyone to give them the point - it doesn't automatically see that they chose the correct answer and give them a 1 out of 0 or 2 out of 0. This is not practical for large classes and it's cumbersome even for smaller classes. There has to be a way that a box can be checked to mark the question as X points of extra credit if answered correctly. 

I find it hard to believe that this isn't already a feature request or "idea conversation" based on the prevalence of this issue/request in the community conversations. Just a few instances:

Thank you for your consideration.

(My role is both an instructor and an administrator)

mdocher
Community Member

I'm an instructor, and I would like the ability to assign extra credit questions within a quiz, or to be able to use a more complicated points/grading system for quizzes -- for example, if I want to give a 20-question quiz, but only grade it out of 18, so that students can get 2 questions wrong before it starts impacting their grade. 

msears
Community Member

Please make this happen...I really need a way to add bonus points to an existing exam and not have to manually go through and add the points.  It is just not logical for me to do this with over 250 student exams.

cwoodwar1
Community Participant

Why has there been no response yet from Canvas to make it possible to set questions on a quiz as extra credit (or bonus). D2L did this easily.  I also want to have students be able to choose say 3 out of 4 of the following questions to answer, but that is also impossible. You would think a modification of the "question group" feature would allow you to create a set of questions where students SEE all of them, but are able to select the subset of questions they want to answer.