[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
bestor
Community Novice

I agree entirely that being able to add an event across multiple classes with a single listing is vitally ijmportant!  Almost every week there is something on campus -- a visiting speaker, a film screening, a fellowship deadline -- that I want to bring to the attention of students in several of my courses, and it is a pain to have to reenter each one again for each class.

I would like to add a couple of other things.  As things stand now if you enter an event and inadvertently add it to the wrong class, you cannot go back in and just reassign the event to the proper course; it appears you have to erase it and start over again!  This is a waste of time and effort.

And, I would like to be able to add recurrenting event (like lab session, 3 pm everything Thursday, as a series.  Right now the system only accepts them one by one, again resulting in lots of wasted time and effort repeating the same information again and again.

bestor
Community Novice

This is a problem particularly at the beginning of the semester, but I run up against it evrey week throughout the semester, as things get modified, new events open up, etc.

I don’t understand your question about importing assignments from previous semesters as a work around? This doesn’t seem to me to be related (and in any case, every semester is different in terms of dates, days of the week, etc., not to mention content that shifts from semester to semester.

Community Explorer

This would help our teachers who teach multiples classes of the same course.  Please vote this up.  It is a huge hindrance to efficiency.

Community Explorer

I don't know if this will help but...

There is a feature to add recurring events to a single course calendar, but not to multiple calendars at one. You can set the recurring events feature to "on" or "allow" in the "Feature Options"

bestor
Community Novice

Hi all

This was first introduced in July.  It is now Nov.  How long does an idea get kicked around before Canvas actually does something?  I haven't seen much or any negative reaction, and lots of people (including myself) saying that the lack of this functionality is a real hindrance.

So, is Canvas going do anything or do we just keep discussing . . .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@bestor ​

Thank you for sharing your frustration and concern.  I know that Deactivated user​ is paying attention to this idea and collecting information from the questions she posted - as she is doing on many other great feature ideas!  Our product teams appreciate the passion and engagement that is put into every idea and they strive to be open and honest with what is possible and what is not!  In order to scope the project and determine if/when it fits in the development roadmap Allison needs user use cases for the questions she has asked.

This idea did open for voting in August and received the 100 vote threshold the first part of November!  If you have questions about how long an idea will remain in the Gathering Information stage How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​ may help!

Thank you again for your participation in this conversation.  You have shared some very valuable information.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@bestor ​

As 1373512458​ graciously shared, How do I add a recurring event to a course Calendar? may help you add your lab session series!

professortull
Community Novice

I'm pleased to read that this idea hit the "100 vote threshold" in November. It would be such a time saver for faculty to save items to multiple calendars. Recording office hours, for example, is something I'd like to type in once and save to all my classes. 

jonathan_carlyo
Community Novice

Very excited to have this option. I hope it makes the vote.

triciaalpers
Community Member

I would like to be able to add an event to multiple courses.

My classes are cross-listed, so I can add an event to all classes within that course.

However, I often want to add an event to all courses I teach.  (I teach 3 different courses.)

Example:  There is an event next week.  I want to add the event to my US History AND US Government classes without having to manually do it for each class.

It seems like it would be easy enough to add a select calendars option for events.  I could select all my calendars, 1 calendar, 2 calendars, etc.