[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
triciaalpers
Community Member

If classes are cross listed, it will add to all of the sections.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I am happy to report that there IS some research and design happening around how to "link and lock" content in Canvas. I will archive this idea for the time being, but please feel free to reach out to Deactivated user​ if you have ideas around how to manage content (i.e. Assignments) across several courses. As far as Calendar Events go, that is something I will keep in mind as we begin initial efforts to re-think the calendar as it functions toady in  Canvas. Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

david_bondelevi
Community Member

There are many scenarios where this would be a necessity. It seems that instead of having a drop-down menu to add it to a single calendar, there should be a list of calendars with check boxes to add it to multiple calendars when the event is created.

cgiraud
Community Novice

Like this idea? Me too! Vote for it here:

cohenf
Community Participant

Disappointed that I couldn't chart my office hours across the calendars of all courses. Hope this is put in place. There are many other cross-course events that I post as well. Also, cross-course calendars must allow for recurring events, e.g., office hours.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
paccioretti_tho
Community Novice

I agree.  New to CANVAS.  First thing I wanted to do was setup my calendar for my three classes, to identify each classes' time in it's own calendar and then combine calendars to "see" where I have free time.  Just like GOOGLE calendars.  I am dumbfounded that this was not at the foundation of the software.  Now I must toggle back and forth between Google Docs and CANVAS.  Using Google Docs for the calendar and managing my schedule and CANVAS for gradable assignments, etc. Dang it.  What a waste of time.

paccioretti_tho
Community Novice

New to this board.  Found the same problem and was scratching my head why the calendar wasn't like Google Calendar - easy for multiple entries.  I know schools that turn off the calendar because it is confusing to students (and tedious for us).  I tell students to review their assignments in syllabus or assignments to get an understanding of what assignments are coming up.  I now manage a Google Calendar and have to hop back and forth to make my schedules.  Very disappointed in this feature, especially as we compare it to Google stuff.

Also I don't see any posts since Oct 2016 - any progress on this instucture?

Cheers.

cohenf
Community Participant

@paccioretti_tho ‌, you'll see a note from Renee Carney, above your comment, that this is at the stage of "Product Radar." Click on the link, "Learn more about this stage" in her comment to learn precisely what that means. I've provided the link as well: New Ideation Stage:  Product Radar 

You may also go to Canvas Studio and see "Browse by Stage" on the right, which shows you where "Radar" stands relative to other stages in product development.

Anyhow, this is long answer to your question, "[A]ny progress on this instructure?" 

paccioretti_tho
Community Novice

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  Radar is better than nodar, but cold comfort.  July 2015 - I think the real answer is "It's not that important to us" - fair enough, priorities need to be made.  I'll continue to use Google Calendar (nice model to follow, says me - duplications made easy, parameters, colors, task over time, etc.  pretty cool stuff) - so I can see what I need to accomplish and when, and "work around" the limitations of the Canvas Calendar, which for me is all of it's functions.  In two semesters and five courses, never once looked at it.  Please don't confuse lack of use with lack of interest - it's lack of functionality.  In fact, I have heard from some instructors (I trust they are not fibbing in their posts, nahhh, they wouldn't) - that their institution turns off the Calendar function.  Ouch.