[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
montabon
Community Explorer

This has likely been mentioned before, but if for no other reason than to post office hours this feature would be useful.  Also, if you have a very detailed calendar entry, currently you have to remember to store a copy in MS Word (for example) so that you don't have to re-type all the text.  Such a feature would eliminate this hassle.

tvannelli
Community Novice

I am trying to use the Canvas calendar to advertise relevant campus event to my students in multiple classes and at this point I am forced to enter each event multiple times so that all my students can see them. This is a serious tax on my time at the cost of providing my students with valuable information regarding key events that relate to their academic and professional development. Being able to select multiple calendars for a single event would be immensely helpful and time-saving.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

bjkniffin
Community Novice

So, here we are THREE YEARS LATER from the original post and nothing has changed? I find this extremely frustrating. I just don't understand why there hasn't been a change when so many have voted and commented the same types of comments. It just seems to fall on deaf ears. There is a need from more than one person but it seems to make no difference. I give up!

Community Explorer

I agree. It would help almost every teacher in our school system.  Many know they would use this feature and I am always asked about it. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @bjkniffin ‌

I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry.  We get so many amazing ideas, and we sincerely wish that we could build solutions for all of them, but like an institution we do not have infinite resources (oh, wow do we wish that we did!).  We do our best to communicate the Priorities we're working on, and communicate how the feature ideas influence those priorities.  The votes on this idea are significant, but when you look at it in the context of the greater list (here) there are many others that are just as highly voted, or more so.‌ None of this falls on deaf ears, I promise.

lisa_stenmark
Community Novice

How about just the ability to add in office hours -- they are drop in, for all classes. Crazy that I can't just have it on my calendar so students have that available.   

lisa_stenmark
Community Novice

But, this seems so basic!  We all have office hours -- some of us are REQUIRED to have them.  Students don't sign up, they show up. I really don't have an extra hour (or more) to manually add in the same exact information, for three classes, for all 15 weeks (two slots a week). That is 90 separate entries....... 

kkrupin
Community Novice

I second all of this!  And not just calendar events, but also being able to post assignments and announcements to multiple classes at once as well!  I teach four periods of high school biology and it is really daunting thinking about having to post quizzes (e.g. a formative, multiple choice vocab quiz), assignments (e.g. "Watch this video and answer these questions"), and announcements (like reminders about an upcoming quiz) FOUR times each. Smiley Sad :smileycry:

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @kkrupin  , and welcome to the Canvas Community!

Why not simply create your content in one section, then just copy it into the other three? I teach multiple sections of a college course, and I just build one, then copy to the others.Course copy is very easy in Canvas, and you can learn more at  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12935-415257077 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley