[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
triciaalpers
Community Member

For like classes, you can cross list your classes.

lglen
Community Explorer

I can't believe you can't do this already. Some of the things I think of as basic functions just aren't present in Canvas...

kidsonh
Community Novice

We NEED this, sooner than later.  While instructors can cross-list courses to combine multiple similar sections, that isn't always the preferred option.  In cases where I am managing several sections of the same course, some course elements may be aligned and others may be out of sync, depending on the kiddos in the class.  Creating calendar events across multiple courses (like a little checkbox menu when you go to create an event or an assignment) seems like a no-brainer. 

I just finished working with a fine arts teacher who wanted to post concert dates for her students in multiple levels of orchestra - all of their concerts are on the same days, they just play at different times during the evening (and everyone has to be there for the whole event).  We couldn't figure out how to do this easily, so I told her I'd go investigate and get back to her with a solution... turns out, we couldn't figure it out because it wasn't possible!  Yikes!

dkalina
Community Novice

The reason I quit "starting" to use Canvas was because of the calendar limitation. I learned Google Classroom instead and love the platform. I am willing to give Canvas another try if we are able to post assignments to multiple classes instead of having to go through the gymnastics of "copy" "paste"

lglen
Community Explorer

Your post made me go look at Google Classrooms. Turns out I already have an account! It looks very much like Canvas on the surface, and I'm looking forward to playing around and getting familiar with it.

One problem is that my institution really wants me to use Canvas. Most instructors here use it, and the students do like that they can see all their course information in one place. I keep "starting" to use Canvas for this reason, but with every attempt I find something I really dislike about it. Calendar view being limited to a calendar month is ridiculous, and the inability to create a calendar event that affects multiple classes is just myopic. I mean, at the very least, we all have school holidays; these should be able to be entered once instead of separately for each class. I know text doesn't use much space, but among other things, I have to store three times the amount of data for one event! 

And that's just the calendar. Don't get me started! There's this huge push to use Canvas, and it has some good features, but until the BASIC, essential features work (like this marvelous new gradebook that doesn't display the average of an assessment, even though the old gradebook did and I can't switch back to the old gradebook?!?!?), I'm NOT sold. 

rnewburn
Community Novice

I have multiple versions of the same course since I have accommodated and modified assignments for kids with learning disabilities. Additionally, I have a number of English Language Learners. They have their own version of the course too. This is obviously a lot of extra work, and I wish I didn't then have to also create 5 different calendar assignments. Of course, there are also things such as holidays that are universal. Being able to just click on all of the classes that would get a particular assignment or notification would really save me!

salim_lakhani
Community Member

I would like to display my office hours on all course calendar without adding it to each individual calendar manually. I am teaching four different classes and I have same office hours for all four classes.

powelwc
Community Novice

This idea makes way too much sense, and I can't imagine that it would be difficult for the technical team to implement. How many votes does it require for this issue to be addressed?

lglen
Community Explorer

Yes, and yet still we wait. Apparently it needs to be in the top ten percent of requests/number of votes to be considered. I have no idea where you're supposed to go to see what its status is. I like software that works well rather than software designed by popularity of desired features. The "desired" features should just be there to start with...

powelwc
Community Novice

Yes!